Urch Forums

How to prepare ?

minnie

The GRE CS exam isn't very difficult in my opinion. The majority of the problems are relatively easy if you know what you are doing. A lot of people tend to score over 700 on the exam.

The best preperation for these kinds of test is to do problems. Get the practice test and do the problems. Get a Discrete Maths book and do problems. Get a Comp. Arch. book and do problems. You get my drift.

e(ho0n3 is kiddie script for echoone. echoone is the name of the computer program developed by Lockhead (now Lockhead Martin) to test the propagation of radar waves on objects/shapes with only flat surfaces (in other words, to test how stealthy these objects were). The results provided by this program lead the way to the development of stealth aircraft (like the F117 or the B2).

I have two practive tests: old and new. I've answered most of the questions in the old one. Haven't bothered with the new one yet. I'll probably be asking about some of the problems I'm having trouble with in the exam here so stay tuned.

The ETS website should has a practice test for each of the subject exams. You might want to search there. If you look around in this forum, you will find links to the practice exams somewhere.

I don't know of any books dedicated to the Comp. Sci. GRE exam. I wouldn't bother buying such a book if it existed anyways. It defeats the whole purpose of these exams.

Hi vipul,

Thanks for the reply.

1. What was your score ? how did you prepare? rather, how did you start preparing?

2. I am a non-comsci grad, wanna do masters in CS from a top univ. My acads arew not good (66%) . My GRE score is 1300 (550v 750q). Do i have to take it again? I am in no hurry ( I have a decent job-software) , but i am planin to apply for nxt fall. Do I stand a chance? :confused: Please advise me on this,

Thnks

:)

Hello minnie,

I managed a 780 (I guess) on the CS GRE

About your profile, for %age, which univ did u graduate from ? ... your GRE is ok, I'd say .. although it will always help if you better it... your work ex should help you (wat company btw ?) ... do well in the CS GRE and you'll be all set ... what ranked univs are u aiming for ?

Don't hesitate to ask more questions ...

hope that helps,

Vipul.

vipul, Hi again, I am from Hyderabad, graduated from a college affiliated to Osmania University ( a top college in the city) . I've been working for the past 8 months, so not much of countable work ex. I my target univs are those that are ranked below 20. This is primarily bcoz i'll be leaving a decent job to join MS, i dont wanna endup being jobless after i wind up with my masters (The present senario does'nt seem quite promising). I am ready to take my GRE (general) again, working hard for GRE-Cs, i dont wanna compromise on the univs. How much do you think my bad acads will spoil my chances ? Will a good GRE-cs score cover them up esp bcoz i dint graduate from CS ?

Thanks for your concern,

Hey minnie,

attending grad school at a top univ (ranked below 20) in CS !! .. doesn't get better than this ... and tougher as well, if I may add.

about your acads spoiling the show, I dont really know how good is 66% in your univ., so can't really comment on that. and as I said before, a good score on the CS-GRE will surely help you. But do keep in mind that the application process is not only about the GRE scores.

and as far as leaving a job is concerned, I myself declined an offer from the Big Brother :)

hth,

Vipul.

Vipul,

I have some more questions.

1. the dec 13 test is after the application deadline for many US schools. do they still take the score even if it is after the deadline?

2. if you forward the score to the universities who don't require subject GRE, does it make your application stronger or it is unnecessary?

3. how long do you think is needed to prepare for the test?

Thanks for the help,

vlsi

Hello vlsi,

You can always write to the school and ask them if sending scores late is ok with them. Most of the schools do accept GRE scores after the deadline, so it shouldn't be a problem. Better to ask the school.

Well, if you got a good score, it doesn't harm to send your scores. Again, much of this is university dependent.

About the time frame, it is a very subjective question. It depends totally on you. If you're a CS major, you'll require less time. You may prepare in 2 weeks, or you may take months. So,.. thats it.

hth,

Vipul.

Hey vipul,

you left a job offer for columbia man! Its COLUMBIA :tup: !!! i would give up anything for that. I was talking about the univs which are not as promisin.,

66% is poor in case of my univ (topper had 84%) . Somehow dint give it a thought then, repenting now :( . neways, good luck, have a ball of time at col

• 5 months later...
Hey guyz,

I answered the CS GRE test last Nov. I'd be glad to answer any queries you guyz may have about the test or otherwise.

Cheerio !

Vipul.

sup bro?

can tell me a few books for the test

i just got started

regards

Here are a few books I've selected for studying:

Essentials:

----------

Operating System Concepts (Silverschatz et al) - currently studying

Computer Organization & Design (Patterson et al)

Introduction to Algorithms (Cormen et al)

Introduction to the Theory of Computation (Sipser et al)

Introduction to Automata Theory, Languages, and Computation

Compilers (Dragon book)

Introduction to Linear Algebra (Lang)

Time permitting:

----------------

Artificial Intelligence (Russell & Norvig)

Computer Networks (Tanenbaum)

File Structures

Database System Concepts (Silverschatz et al)

Distributed Systems Concepts and Design (Coulouris et al)

I am currently missing books for Discrete Mathematics (and maybe some introductory Combinatorics, Number Theory, etc). Math is my weakest subject (WHY DID I DO CS ARGH!), so I need some recommendations.

Btw, happy new year!

I am in a situation similar to Minnies (not very good GPA, extensive job experience, just started to work for CS GRE, etc.).

A former classmate of mine was accepted at Cornell in 2003, but I am targeting univs. like Stony Brook and Rutgers. I would like to know if these schools have a minimum cutoff GPA? My GPA is around 74% and is from a good university in Brazil.

I am currently doing a M.Sc. in my country, trying to improve my grades, but I don't know how effective is this strategy. A good CS GRE and good M.Sc. grade can be of any help in the PhD admission process?

Besides that, do you recommend trying to solve textbooks exercises first or the past GRE exams?

Vipul,

I need to review everything on graphs and computer networks. I am wondering if Cormen's book is enough to review graphs as well as Tanenbaum on networks?:hmm:

Well, it is a good start but it just gives an overview of graph theory. Although, it covers a good portion of graph theory, you might need to read a little more on graphs from elsewhere .... just keep in mind that the test is objective (MCQ)

Vipul.

• 1 month later...
hey vipul one thing man.........im frm mumbai uni third yr comp engg.....my acads are 60 % plus....i am planning to take my GRE in august...wat score ahud i ideally get to get in the top 20 uni.....also before givin my AGRE in CS do u think work exp of yr or two will help as far as getting admissions is concerned