Urch Forums

What should be the strategy?

Hopeless

Hi all,

I have just finished my GRE and scheduled IBT on 31th instant. Today, I have started IBT preparation with listening section. But, I am facing few problems with this. If I try to take vigorous note though in somewhat short form, I miss some vital points especially of lectures as

my concentration is distributed both in writing notes and listening. As a result, my overall comprehension of the lecture gets impaired. On the other hand, if I take little note and give more concentration in listening the lecture, then I can comprehend it well. But, while answering

questions I find few questions which demands specific information which in turn demands note taking.

Therefore, I am at a complete loss that what should my strategy to do better in this section... I am too much worried.... Please need your valuable suggestion....

Thanks.

• 1 month later...

I'm having the same dilemma.

I do approximately 75-85%+ correct , though. But I aim for higher. Much higher.

What I'm experimenting right now with is - Shortcut noting . Just major points, major words. Sometimes I just put one letter instead of the whole word. (actually I do it a lot) They serve as Mnemonics. Then I use arrows, diagrams to show the flow of information (instead of writing 'this' is composed of 'this' which is more time consuming). Capturing the main idea and the flow of information is very important, indeed.

BUt I Still miss some nuances which results in lapse in comprehension and lowered score.

I think the point is to know what exactly to note, and what not to. And paying full attention to everything.

(And I suppose lots of practice , as well)

And lectures on unfamiliar topics and lots of terms tend to overwhelm me (I still do 75%+ correct).

I will try to minimize bombarding notes with informations and see where it goes.

• 10 months later...