Urch Forums

Research jobs at the Jameel Poverty Action Lab

thewhiterabbit

On hearing back from interviews- I would say a good rule of thumb is to wait two weeks (less if you have another job offer) and if you don't hear back, send a quick note to inquire on your status. Sometimes they do have legitimate reasons for not getting back (it took my current PIs like 3 weeks), but sometimes, unfortunately, they have decided not to hire you and forgot to let you know. I think this is fairly rude if you have already been interviewed. Everyone here- when you are PIs, DON'T do that.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@c0c0, Thank you so much for your interesting story with J-PAL. So, I should still keep my fingers crossed. I emailed them and they say that it can take upto 6 months. :-O That wasn't helpful. But anyways, there is always second time :)

@mayflwers472 I did write to them, but they said its hard to give the status of my application. Instead they gave the unusual potential duration of 6 months. I would be happy to hear back, but I think I should be looking at other options. And is it their policy to only get back to the successful candidates after the interview? I am not sure, but I think I read something like that in their FAQ somewhere. Yes, all PIs should hear you :). Waiting is a painful game, it would be nice to hear a line of email with the application/interview status.Thanks for your reply mayflwers472.

• 2 weeks later...
I didn't make it to the interview, but I did get an email that I was rejected. I assume if they (usually) email the people who don't make it to interview then they'll email the people who they drop after the interview.

I don't think this is necessarily the case. I've had a couple 1st round interviews that I never heard back on. Maybe they don't reject you in the event that something changes or some people fall through etc.. but I've been implicitly turned down from a couple positions (one I haven't heard anything in a month.. other one I haven't heard anything in a 2-3 weeks, but they said I'd hear within a weak if I did.. the first implicit reject they didn't offer a specific timeline to my recollection).

Anyhow, stick with it everybody. Seems like some projects hire late, as indicated earlier in the forum and from what I've heard otherwise.

Hey. I am new here. Though this thread is for J-PAL research positions, I was wondering if any of you have interviewed for or worked with CMF/IFMR. I had applied there for an internship position and I have an interview scheduled in a couple of days. I needed a few pointers as to how to prepare, what exactly do they look for- knowledge of STATA, MFI models etc.?

Any help would be great!

I don't think this is necessarily the case. I've had a couple 1st round interviews that I never heard back on. Maybe they don't reject you in the event that something changes or some people fall through etc.. but I've been implicitly turned down from a couple positions (one I haven't heard anything in a month.. other one I haven't heard anything in a 2-3 weeks, but they said I'd hear within a week if I did.. the first implicit reject they didn't offer a specific timeline to my recollection).

I did eventually hear back on all, it just took a while.

Hi

Does anyone know that if there is J-Pal jobs in Spanish speaking countries or Portuguese speaking countries? I have a vague impression that there is probably some research done in Chile and maybe Brazil, but really don't know much about it. I would be very interested to work in latin america but don't know if that's a valid goal to aim at. Anyone? any information is much appreciated!