Urch Forums

Dead man in the desert: riddle :)

Vaya

No, I guess he wouldn't dig for water with a match.

Okay, here are some important questions:

[*]Did the match break before the man died? [*]Did the man break the match? In other words, did the match break as a result of any of the man's actions?[*]Is the match touching the man's body right now?

Originally posted by ErinBilly

No, I guess he wouldn't dig for water with a match.

Okay, here are some important questions:

[*]1. Did the match break before the man died? [*]2. Did the man break the match? In other words, did the match break as a result of any of the man's actions?[*]3. Is the match touching the man's body right now?

1 Yes, it did.

2 Yes, it did.

3 It's not important...

Renata

Well, maybe this is a bit too easy, but something like this--as we know, deserts get cold at night. To stay warm at night, the man burned his clothes with pne of the two matches he had left. Later, after he fell asleep, the fire went out, and he tried to light his other clothes with his last match, but it wouldn't work, and he tried so many times that the match ended up breaking. So, he ended up dying of exposure during the night.

But something tells me that you're going to say no...

That's very interesting... But no... :D

I'll give you some details: he has ONLY a broken match and wears ONLY (let's say) pants. And there is nothing else. No water, food, fire, no other things. He doesn't have a matchbox. He couldn't lit a match :) In fact he didn't need anything...

Okay, now for the next round of questions.

It seems that the match plays a fundamental role in the poor man's death. Let's find out more about how he died and what role the match played in his untimely demise.

[*]Did the match directly cause his death? E.g., did it do something like pierce his throat? [*]If not, did it cause his death indirectly? That is, did it cause another thing to cause his death? [*]Or is it the case that somehow the broken match is a result of the same thing that killed the man? That is, did the thing that killed the man also break the match? And if we can figure out this thing, we can figure out what happened to the man?

It's very complicated...

No the match wasn't the direct cause. It was the indirect cause.

It was something like this: something happened, the match broke, the man had to die.

Renata

P.S. I am in Lithuania. The last post was posted about 11 P.M. in my local time.

Did his death depend on luck? I mean, was there something like a lot drawing and the poor man got the broken match, then he was pushed downto the desert from a balloon, for example?

Renata

P.S. I am in Lithuania. The last post was posted about 11 P.M. in my local time.

I've been looking for Lithuania on my new global, but haven't found it yet. It's in Europe, isn't it? How large is it, Renata? Is English the second language in your country?

-phuong-

Phoung... you are a fantastic guy... The answer is YES, totally yes. You solved it :) Are you a profesional riddle solver?

It was like this: a ballon flew over the desert and began to fall for some reason. The passangers threw all not-needed things. But the ballon was still falling. One of the men had to jump, the one with broken match.

Great!

Lithuania is in Europe indeed (very good Phoung, because many people think that's in Africa). Look for Baltic see in the North Europe. German, Poland, Belarus, one step up, Lithuania, Latvia, Estonia (three Baltic sisters). One step right - Russia. If your map is more than 10 years old you won't see my country. By that time we were occupied by Russia.

Good luck to you! Renata

Wow. I don't think I could have solved that one so quickly (without using Google, of course ;) ) First of all, when I hear "broken match," I envision all the pieces of the match still together, but broken, much like a broken leg or arm.

Great job, Renata and phuong! Any other ones?

• 1 month later...
The guy is in the desert because he was in a hot air balloon with friends and then the balloon started to sink. The companions took off almost all their clothes to reduce the weight and it didn't help. Next, they pulled "straws" or matchs to see who would jump off. This guy got the shortest match and had to jump.

• 8 years later...

Hmmm.... Well, no foot prints, meaning he fell... a broken match..... a bet maybe?? hmm...

this is my guess...

he was on a plane with three people in. something happened to the plane and it started to go down fast, in order for the people to live, they had to lose as much weight as possibel. So, they stripped down. the plane was still going down, and in order to see who had to jump out, they drew matches. and the guy lost since he had the shortest match, and he had to jump out. Which, obviously, he died.:tup:

• 10 years later...

Yup it all depend on man luck, in order to maintain balance of air balloon they play game of chosing match stick and the man who died chose the small one match stick so he had to jump in desert.

But some thinks how did match broken the man who started that game of chosing match sticks already broke match sticks at different sizes so the one who chose small one had to jump from balloon ( because all match stick sizes was equal he had to broke them at different sizes)