Urch Forums

Regarding Toefl rescore in wirting which i got 24

pradeep

My Toefl score i recieved from ETS is 97 but require a minimum of 100.

Reading-25 Listening-21 Speaking-27 Writing-24

Should i consider applying for rescoring writing section. What r the chances of reaching 100. Can u guide me in this regard.

Please can anyone give ur suggestions.

Your 24/30 in writing indicates, I believe, that your raw score was 7.5/10, meaning that you got 4/5 on one of your essays and 3.5 on the other. If you apply for rescoring and the lower essay ends up being a solid 4/5, then your overall writing score would improve, but only to 25/30 (giving you a 98 overall).

The only way your scaled score in writing could increase by 3 points or more is if at least one of your essays was judged a perfect 5/5 upon rescoring. To be honest, I don't think this is terribly likely, but if you feel you did an exceptional job on either or both essays, I suppose you could give it a shot.

Best of luck to you...

These are the levels I secured in the individual questions of writing section.

Writing based on reading and listening--------Good(4.0 - 5.0)

Writing based on knowledge and experience---Fair(2.5 - 3.5)

Thanks for ur help........

Can u once re-evaluate m chances.

Corey, Thanks for information. I am facing difficulty in understanding the toefl writing evaluation structure. Can u please reevaluate my scores. since we can apply for rescore in 3 months time. Are they flexible in giving 3 to 5 days more time

OK, Pradeep, this is consistent with what I told you earlier. Your INTEGRATED essay was scored a 4/5, so it says good (4.0 - 5.0). However, one of the two raters for your INDEPENDENT essay only scored it a 3/5, so the combined average was 3.5, which led to a "fair" (don't pay any attention to the words, though, since they don't really mean anything -- it's only the scaled scores that affect you).

As I said before, the only way your writing score jumps from a 24 all the way to a 27 or higher would be if one of your essays became a perfect 5/5 upon rescoring (I guess it would have to be your integrated). Even if your independent essay is scored as a 4/5 in rescoring (rather than it's original 3.5), your overall score will only go up to 25/30.

Corey, this information is very detailed and helpful. In my opinion, I think going for a rescore in this case will be a waste of time. Relying on either essay to be rescored as a 5/5 is just unlikely in my opinion, and it is also possible the other essay could be lowered! The way you (Corey) explain the details of the scoring helps explain this.

pradeep: sorry, as I assume this is not what you want to hear, but you need to take the TOEFL again. Perhaps a few private lessons with Corey will help boost your writing? ;-)

Tino

Corey, this information is very detailed and helpful. In my opinion, I think going for a rescore in this case will be a waste of time. Relying on either essay to be rescored as a 5/5 is just unlikely in my opinion, and it is also possible the other essay could be lowered! The way you (Corey) explain the details of the scoring helps explain this.

pradeep: sorry, as I assume this is not what you want to hear, but you need to take the TOEFL again. Perhaps a few private lessons with Corey will help boost your writing? ;-)

Tino

Thnks dude. Did u see any of ur friends increase by abt 1 pt??

But there are also chances of my Integrated Writing to go to 4.5(from 4.0) and Independent writing go to 4 (from 3.5) but its all subjective as it depends on raters. So thinking abt it....

Actually, Tino, I think a raw score of 9 points (4.5 average) would be a 28/30, so perhaps an 8.5 raw score (mean of 4.25) might be okay. However, I don't know if they use one rater per essay on rescoring or the regular two, so perhaps his hypothetical situation isn't even possible (improving by 0.5 on BOTH of his two essays).

In any event, he would have to get at least one perfect 5/5 (from one of the two or four total raters) during rescoring, and based on the original scores (4.0 and 3.5), this doesn't look too promising...

I was told that for rescoring the essay (or speaking) goes through the same process as the original score. But I was told by someone who claimed to have been told that at a seminar on TOEFL by ETS, so the person at the seminar could have been wrong, the person telling me could have been wrong, etc....

Is there a raw to final score chart? I was just calculating in my head. I looked at ETS.com and didnt see one.

Thanks!

Tino

Many TOEFL books have the conversion charts, Tino.

You could go to pages 738-739 in "The Complete Guide to the TOEFL" by Bruce Rogers (there is one error, though -- a 20 raw score in speaking would equate to a 26/30, as I'm sure you already know).

In the Delta book by Nancy Gallagher, it's in the very back (page 699 in my edition).

• 4 months later...

Rescore in this case is a big gamble, in my opinion. You need 3 points. A writing rescore from 22 to 25 would be rare in my opinion. Speaking doesn't have a 25, so you would need to go from 22 to 26, which is really rare. However, rescoring for 1 section is $60 (or is it $65?, forget) so it is an option. If your score was 98 or 99, and you felt you did good on the writing I would say go for it. But 97 is debatable....

Tino

the weird point is Iv been given "fair" for all parts of the writing and speaking sections, but I believe I did pretty well at least on 2 or three parts of the speaking section (I mentioned all the needed points, of course through paraphrasing).

Or,

Is this score any good for top US universities? should I waste my time and money on preparation again? for I heard that toefl score is just a requirement, not an advantage, and the more important pre-requisite is the GRE score.

• 4 years later...

Hi guys

I hope you are doing well. I took the TOEFL 10 days ago. I got 99 : 28 L, 28 R, 22 S, 21 R . Are they kidding me? I really need 100 to apply to my college.

Should I rescore my writing or my speaking or both. Do I have a good opportunity to jump to 100? Did anyone here have an experiment with such law score in writing or speaking that pumped up one or more point ?

I really need your help.