Urch Forums

Hit rock bottom in my GMAT, help me please!!

nina11

hi guys,

i have given my GMAT 2 days earlier and scored a 470!!!... i dont know what happened when i consistently got in the range of 550-590 in my prep tests. my target was atleast 600(i have a specified school in mind). i was almost sure that i will remain in 550 range and planned to retake the test, but when i saw a 470, i dont know if my preps will even help!, i am so depressed to see my score that i lost the trust in my ability to prep for the exam, i have done og twice and went through some other materials. i knew i wasnt good enough, but i didnt know i was this bad. i want to retake the exam and score atleast 150 points and above. can anyone help me plan my study???. i will only register for gmat after i feel a consistent increase in score in prep tests, so i am giving my self atleast 3 months time, how does that sound?? will i be able to increase 150 points in 2 months time? i am willing to keep my entire social life for this, i am already a graduate and have plenty of time with me before the exam. please guide me anyone, i am in desperate need for help.

thanks

P.S I am planning to go through manhattan 8 strategy guides and giving a week for each of them and going through og again. is this enough?? or do i need to go through more?? please suggest:(

Hi Nina, I understand how sad you might be feeling right now. But dnt loose hope. There are ample stories of increase in 150-200 points with good prep. All you need is VERY structured and disciplined approach which begins with identifying your weak areas. Just going through books will not guarantee your scores. You have to improve on your weak areas and the improvement should be result oriented and quantifiable. For example, say your accuracy in sentence correction is 70% (however accuracy is not the best method to gauge the performance but lets assume so for understanding), it may be that you get all pronoun related questions right and all modifier related questions wrong. You have to identify where are you going wrong and why are you going wrong and how can you improve. Studying for 3 more months can yield desired returns but you really have to keep on questioning your preparation and quantifying the results.

I hope I am making sense!

All the best!!

Here is my $ 0.02 -

1. take 5 days off from study

2. make your mind to start from zero and target 650

3. Digonise your test and Identify the weak areas (no matter if they are too many!)

4. Follow OG materials first.( Diagonistic Test -> weakness identification)

5. Start with OG 10 (each explanation is to be read (even if you get right))

6. Take OG 11 (follow the same approach)

7. Give special focus on your weakness. Staudy other materials!

8. Start OG 12 (follow the same approach)

9. ABOVE ALL, trust your self... you can do it !!!

After competing each OG, test your progression (GMATprep or Power Prep or Both)

You can follow the following materials-

1. For CR : atleast first few chapters from CR Bible (special focus on weakening questions, resolve the paradox and Bold Face)

2. For SC: MGMAT SC ( a must)

3. For Quant: depends on your weakness. MGMAT books are comprehensive and great.

However, Regarding your end questions -

(Disclaimer: this is completely personal opinion.)

1 week per MGMAT Strategy Book is not enough (completely personal opinion!).

If you can combine the study of strategy book and then specific practices from OG... Great. It will certainly surpass your target score by far.

Hi, I think I know what u have done in yr actual GMAT exam , and this is most common phenomenon across board .....despite your range bound practice test scores , you have fizzled out due to "actual day" test pressure ...believe me this is what GMAT Test does to you even if u have 200% preparation ......that does not entitle you not to prepare well :).....go ahead and target specific areas you are not comfortable with .....but what you have to do actually is to have the mental set up of raising the bar at the actual exam .....give as many mocks as possible , stretch yrself to the hilt , pace yrself as required and then only u will be able to improve , my take on GMAT is -its 60% mental toughness +40 % great prep.....and please do not say "what happened" :hmm:-you are the best person to know what happened that day .....so be practical - focus like an eagle and get yr target score -no point worrying or demotivating yrelf.......u are a much better and competent person than yr GMAT score would indicate -kindly do not measure your capabilities by a score which is just a piece of statistic , nothing more nothing less.... CHEERS !!

Hi Nina, I understand how sad you might be feeling right now. But dnt loose hope. There are ample stories of increase in 150-200 points with good prep. All you need is VERY structured and disciplined approach which begins with identifying your weak areas. Just going through books will not guarantee your scores. You have to improve on your weak areas and the improvement should be result oriented and quantifiable. For example, say your accuracy in sentence correction is 70% (however accuracy is not the best method to gauge the performance but lets assume so for understanding), it may be that you get all pronoun related questions right and all modifier related questions wrong. You have to identify where are you going wrong and why are you going wrong and how can you improve. Studying for 3 more months can yield desired returns but you really have to keep on questioning your preparation and quantifying the results.

I hope I am making sense!

All the best!!

Hi missionGMAT,

Thanks a lot for your reply. you know what???? you made a lot of sense with the reply. i have not thought about analyzing my mistakes this way. i realise now that in every part of the test i make mistakes in almost the same kind of questions, probably not well prepared in that. Anyways, i am going to prepare with my weaknesses in mind, Thanks again, you helped me a lot :)

Hi gnat,

you are very much right!!! i was so scared, i bet my life on this, stupid me. i felt if i didnt ace this test, i failed in life or something. initially i used to prep for my GMAT endlessly, almost tiring myself. now i give myself some good breaks, go through everything slowly and not going forward until i understand it completely. it kind of makes the prep interesting. i am more calm now as gmat does not look like this scary thing in my head :p anymore. but i am little worried that as the days go by and test date come near, my fears might resurface again. i dont know. i will have to take some mind exercises. anyways, thanks gnat!!!!.... i will post my progress :)

• 2 weeks later...
hey guys I recently took gmat but got much lower than I expected(got only 580).I know that most business schools want score within a range of 650-700.But I dont know how to score that high.Which study material do you suggest and any other suggestions.Thnx in advance..

• 1 year later...
hi guys,

i have given my GMAT 2 days earlier and scored a 470!!!... i dont know what happened when i consistently got in the range of 550-590 in my prep tests. my target was atleast 600(i have a specified school in mind). i was almost sure that i will remain in 550 range and planned to retake the test, but when i saw a 470, i dont know if my preps will even help!, i am so depressed to see my score that i lost the trust in my ability to prep for the exam, i have done og twice and went through some other materials. i knew i wasnt good enough, but i didnt know i was this bad. i want to retake the exam and score atleast 150 points and above. can anyone help me plan my study???. i will only register for gmat after i feel a consistent increase in score in prep tests, so i am giving my self atleast 3 months time, how does that sound?? will i be able to increase 150 points in 2 months time? i am willing to keep my entire social life for this, i am already a graduate and have plenty of time with me before the exam. please guide me anyone, i am in desperate need for help.

thanks

P.S I am planning to go through manhattan 8 strategy guides and giving a week for each of them and going through og again. is this enough?? or do i need to go through more?? please suggest:(

470 is indeed a bad score and you must plan to work hard to achieve a 600+ . Requires a lot of effort, time and energy