Urch Forums

Scheduling problems junior year of high school? Help! College questions?

collegebound123

I'm having some scheduling problems with my junior year. First let me start of by telling you the classes I have taken.

9th grade:

Biology

World History

Writ Lit 1

Geometry

Health/Gym

Keyboarding/Beginning Photo

Spanish 100

10th grade:

Honors Chemistry

U.S. History

American Literature (junior class)

Algebra 2

Intro to business/marketing special events

Lifetime Indvidual Sports/Advanced Photo

Spanish 200

So this year I'm currently enrolled in the following classes

11th grade:

Intro to Forensic Science (not an easy class)

AP Government

Journalism

Pre Calculus

Newspaper

Advanced Photo

Theories of Self-psychology class

Spanish 300

I was originally signed up for AP Enviromental Science, but had to switch into Forensic Science in order to be in Journalism (instead of Women's Studies) and stay in my AP Gov class, which has all my friends in it (I know dumb reason, but its important). Should I try to switch back into AP Enviromental Science to look more rigorous to a college, and have two easy APs. Or do you think forensic science will look just as rigorous. Also I have a lot of friends taking that class, but I also have friends in Forensic Science.

If it helps here is my tenative schedule for senior year

12th grade:

AP Biology

AP Pyschology

AP English Language and Composition

Calculus

Newspaper

AP Studio Art (for photography)

Honors Spanish 400

AP Environmental Science or Anatomy/Physiology

I want to go to a college such as Michigan, Michigan State, UCLA, USC, NYU, or Northwestern. Also I'm a little bit confused about early admissions. From looking at my schedule, is it something you would suggest I take advantage of or not? Could you explain a bit to me about that process? Additionally, my GPA is currently 3.54 so I definitely need to do well this year. My GPA is out of 4.0 and it is unweighted. Throughout my high school career I've gotten As and Bs. I am a staff writer on the Newspaper, part of a competition dance team, dancer in the school musical, hold an internship with Nordstorm, and co-teach a 3rd grade Religious education class. What do you think of my chances to get into these schools? Any advice at all you can give me is appreciated :) thanks!

• 1 month later...

GPA is a bit on the low side for top-tier schools, but I like the diversity of your courses. It also appears that you challenge yourself with hard academic courses, which is good.

You should definitely try to raise your GPA. How are your SAT scores? Have you taken an official SAT? Or at least a practice SAT?

I agree, I really need to raise my GPA this year, that's why I have only one AP, along with my other rigorous courses. I have taken the practice SAT and actually tomorrow im taking it for the 2nd year. My scores were strong on the PSAT. On the practice ACT I got a 26, which equates to higher on the actual test (because it is out of 32 not 36).

Well, no matter what you do, you need to get the best GPA in the hardest classes that you can. People often ask whether it's better to get a B in an AP class or an A in a regular class, and honestly, that's not an easy question to answer. That said, it's probably better to challenge yourself with the harder classes and not do quite as well, but again, many factors come into play, including which schools you'll be applying to, so there are some advantages to taking the less-challenging courses to raise your GPA.

And of course, do your best on the SAT. ;) Good luck with it!

Erin