Urch Forums

Normal Distribution

NDure

First, let me say that on my exam I didn't see a whole lot of this new statistics stuff that they are suggesting will be part of the new GRE (random variables, normal distribution, interquartile range, etc.). I personally didn't see any of the aforementioned topics on my exam, and I got a 170Q, but obviously that doesn't mean you won't see it.

You need to look at a bell curve to understand this. Since these two points are both to the right of the middle, you will notice that the curve thins out the further you go to the right. Now, 30% of the data pool is between the 60th and 90th percentiles. So you might expect 15% to be between 650 and 750 and 15% between 750 and 850. But since visually you can see that a greater percentage of the data is in the area closer to the 60th percentile, then you might imagine that something more like 20% of the data points might be in the area between 650 and 750 and maybe 10% would be between 750 and 850. These are just rough approximations, but the point is that if this is true, 750 would more likely correspond to something like 80th percentile and so 75th percentile would be below 750.

Hope that helps explain it...

Thanks for the chart caa, and thanks for the explanation everyone, but there is a little doubt .. what if instead of 75 percentile we had been asked for 85 percentile in column 1...??

Now what do we do and one basic question how come the value at 80 percentile is approximated to be 750...??

sorry, for such stupid questions, but i am a little weak on this topic..

To answer your questions, first, the question could not be asked with anything but 75%. You are not expected to know or be able to figure out exactly what the percntile would be for 750. This is outside the scope of the GRE. All they are looking for you to understand is that although 750 is half way between 650 and 850, more of the data points are in the half that is closer to 650, so the 75th percentile will be below 750. I don’t know if 750 would correspond to 80th percentile…as I indicated in my post, that was just an approximation….just a way to show that 75th percentile would fall below 750 since more that half of that 30% that falls between 650 and 850 is in the half closer to 650.

Hope that helps!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
First, let me say that on my exam I didn't see a whole lot of this new statistics stuff that they are suggesting will be part of the new GRE (random variables, normal distribution, interquartile range, etc.). I personally didn't see any of the aforementioned topics on my exam, and I got a 170Q, but obviously that doesn't mean you won't see it.

You need to look at a bell curve to understand this. Since these two points are both to the right of the middle, you will notice that the curve thins out the further you go to the right. Now, 30% of the data pool is between the 60th and 90th percentiles. So you might expect 15% to be between 650 and 750 and 15% between 750 and 850. But since visually you can see that a greater percentage of the data is in the area closer to the 60th percentile, then you might imagine that something more like 20% of the data points might be in the area between 650 and 750 and maybe 10% would be between 750 and 850. These are just rough approximations, but the point is that if this is true, 750 would more likely correspond to something like 80th percentile and so 75th percentile would be below 750.

Hope that helps explain it...

can u gimme your mail id ? that would be helpful for me so that i can get some information of GRE materials . thank you

• 1 year later...

The random variable X is normally distributed. The values 650 and 850 are the 60th and 90th percentiles of the distribution of X, respectively.

A) The value at the 75th percentile of the distribution of X

B) 750

Solution:

since here difference of percentile is(90-60)= 30 percentile for point (850-650)=200.

30 percentile for 200 points.

we need to get points score for 75 percentile(15 more percentile points then 60 percentile points) so 15 percentile=(200/30)*15=100 points

so points on 75 percentile=650+100=750

THIS VALUE IS THE MAXIMUM VALUE AND IT CAN ONLY BE CONSIDERED IF GRAPH IS EQUAL AND NOT DECREASING.

BUT HERE IN QUESTION IT IS MENTIONED THAT RANDOM VARIABLES ARE NORMALLY DISTRIBUTED SO THE GRAPH WOULD BE DECREASING IN A BELL SHAPE SO THE VALUE OF 75 PERCENTILE WOULD DEFINITELY BE LESS THEN 750 FOR SURE.

Answer: Quantity B is greater

:eager: