Urch Forums

PhD Admissions Chances

chels999

Hi everyone -- I had my doubts about posting in a forum like this, simply because I didn't want to fall down the rabbit hole and make myself any more nervous than I already am, but here goes. I'm applying to PhD programs in Political Science with an intention to concentrate on political theory and IR. My main concern is my undergraduate GPA -- I went to a top-25 school but graduated with only a 3.0. The low grades during my first two years were due to personal problems, and since I was 18-19 at the time (I'm now 28), I've been assured that my undergrad GPA won't keep me out of a doctoral program. I still can't help but worry. I have a 3.85 GPA at the Master's level, a 166 (97%) and 159 (82%) and 5.5 (96%) on the "revised" (after August 1st, 2011) GRE. I think I have a very strong resume (have worked as a congressional reporter at a prestigious publication and in the US Congress, with graduate-level internships at the OECD and UN headquarters). Worked as a research assistant and as editor-in-chief of the graduate academic journal while getting my Master's. My quantitative GRE score is obviously lower than I'd like, but since I want to do theory, I've been told my verbal will matter way more. I'm not applying to the "top" schools, but am terrified I won't get in anywhere -- I've applied to 11 places, including the University of Washington, Georgetown, GWU, Boston University, Maryland, Brown, Boston College, and NYU. Anyone have any feedback on my chances of getting in?

• 7 months later...
OMG, I am nervous reading your profile. I would explain a little bit about the "personal reasons" on PS if l am in your situation. Most of the committee pay more attention to what you achieved recently than those long time ago. I definitely think you have high chance getting in some of those you are applying. Good luck with it.

• 2 months later...
you definately have a very good chance at any top 25 programme. most of the poeple you are competing with are fresh out of undergraduate studies with very little in terms of work experience and practical field work so you should have a competitive advantage there because this showcases the fact that you know what you are getting yourself into and are thus more likely to persist with the tough PhD course requirements. your GRE scores are also VERY decent so i wouldn't worry if i were you. best of luck with the application!!