Urch Forums

Bocconi first year econ phd student taking questions

ecpfdq

I'm interested in corporate finance. Does Bocconi have active researchers in this area? I feel that Bocconi is active in banking. How about corporate finance?

I am an econ phd student. I cannot provide any information on that aspect. What I only say is that the school is trying to hire good people and to be transformed into a great research school

im not thrilled about the fact that they combined the econ and finance phds into one, but i applied regardless cause they have good people in political economy (tabellini) and development (la ferrara)

do you know if tabellini advises students?

also, when do they usually send out admission decisions? and, is there a bias towards italian students?

im afraid ill have to make a decision by april 15 without having heard back from bocconi and then have to possibly change my decision if im accepted there

thanks

im not thrilled about the fact that they combined the econ and finance phds into one, but i applied regardless cause they have good people in political economy (tabellini) and development (la ferrara)

also, when do they usually send out admission decisions? and, is there a bias towards italian students?

im afraid ill have to make a decision by april 15 without having heard back from bocconi and then have to possibly change my decision if im accepted there

thanks

First year is common for all students .Then you get separated according to the econ/ finance root. Tabelini is not teaching this time of the year because of his duties as a Rector but he gets students.Besides in the political economy filed there is also Alberto Alesina ....

Exchange in top departments is higly encoranged and promoted due to the international relations of the faculties.

You will have to make a decision by the dateline you are required to without any bargaining power like usually is done with the US programs. Not sure if you are Italian or not but I do not think there is a bais to Italians students although there will be some Italians classmates(in my class there are 2)

Do your department has opportunity to visiting some universities at US during PhD? and can you provide detail of field courses info to me cuz I cannot find it at your website......

Let me put it in this way. It is almost compulsory you visti a top school during the PhD particularly in the US( .Actually this is promoted if you talk with people around particularly with the DGS(we are lucky this year to have Massimo Marinaci(perhaps the greatest now days decision making theorist in the world) as DGS) .I now know two guys who have been my TAs visiting US departments. One is at harvald (and will stay there till his is done with the PhD) and the other is at NYU.Many have been at Northwestern and at Yale.

You can see the research fileds here Research - Bocconi University

and the PhD courses running this year here http://www.unibocconi.it/wps/wcm/connect/SitoPubblico_EN/Navigation+Tree/Home/Schools+and+Programs/PhD+School/PhD+in+Economics+and+Finance/Courses+and+Requirements/?lang=en

This Wednesday we are going to have a meeting with Marinacci and he will inform us the second year PhD course will be running next year. However my understanding is that those are offered based on the demand made by students.(we were asked to give an idea of research interests some time ago). I might know something more after Wednesday.

It does sound like a very nice place by everything you're telling us. Looking at the placements I see a lot of students end up doing post-docs but I wonder how they place after those post-docs? Do you have any info on that?

thanks again

This is not about PhD, but I was wondering if anyone knows when they make the decision on the Merit Award for incoming master's students? I was admitted to ESS about a week ago but there is no prospect whatever of my attendance without the scholarship...I am dying to hear back as I would like to attend...

When do students choose their major between economics and finance? From the beginning, i.e. application stage, or after the first year coursework?
It is posted on the website that at hte application stage you should choose your major, but you have opportunity to change at the time of enrollment and at the begining of second year, given that there are at least 3 students in that stream and your satisfactory completion of courses. But I don't know whether it is ture or not. I am thinking of turning to finance from econ if finally admitted and decide to attend.

It is posted on the website that at hte application stage you should choose your major, but you have opportunity to change at the time of enrollment and at the begining of second year, given that there are at least 3 students in that stream and your satisfactory completion of courses. But I don't know whether it is ture or not. I am thinking of turning to finance from econ if finally admitted and decide to attend.

That is correct. As I wrote above the first year is common for all then you get separated based on the stream and filed choice.If you have further question on the filed courses we are going to have a meeting with the DGS tomorrow and I could take the opportunity to ask him in case I do not know the answer....

There is a common joke here at Bocconi since departments are in different floors when they want to say in class for example that some people could disagree on an issue they say that perhaps the X floor may have a different view on that..

Edited by ecpfdq
typo

Thanks for the helpful thread. I am italian and applied to the phd bocconi. I have two questions:

1) from your experience do you think that the rankings are made following exactly the 40, 30, 20, ... allocation? It seems weird that LORs matter so little..

2) how would you evaluate the comparison Eui vs Bocconi (regarding the phd)?

Thank you very much!

We just finished the meeting with the DGS on the next year filed courses. I am exited to see who will beteqaching at Bocconi next year. Ok next year we are going to have Fabrizio Perri and Alessandra Fogli both from Minessota (could any Minessota guy confIrm if they are moving to Bocconi?) plus Alberto Alesina and Dirk Krueger teaching and being around. The macro sequence for guys like me will be stellar!

But let me first answer some questions I got .

thanks

Next year field courses in you area of interest will be taught by big guys........

Many thanks. Your information is really helpful.

And another question: Is fellowship stipend enough to fund your life in that expensive Milan? Or students need to prepare some extra fund?

On the leaving expenditures welll let me say that you will have to leave like a 20 old years guys. It all depents on how much you will spent for housing -Consider that Milan could be an expensive city and you will get around 2000 euros every two months.We had the first salary in late Octomber so we had to make arragements from our own on the first two months. But I had a not myopical short term behavoir so I think this is not an issue for your school choice)

Thanks for the helpful thread. I am italian and applied to the phd bocconi. I have two questions:

1) from your experience do you think that the rankings are made following exactly the 40, 30, 20, ... allocation? It seems weird that LORs matter so little..

2) how would you evaluate the comparison Eui vs Bocconi (regarding the phd)?

Thank you very much!

1) I do not known how they make the ranking but I share your view on the LOR matter. Let say that even if ou are not in the first group of candidted admitted do to there is always hope .Some of the candites admitted in the first round will decline theit offers and the list will kepp rolling untill the fill the slots.

2)As for comparing with EUI it depends on the field but after what we are told about next year teacher I belvie is much better her taking also into account the names of people giving talks here every day, the seminars and the reaserch activites.

• 3 months later...
  • 9 months later...
ecpfdq: How has your experience at Bocconi continued?

Any advice for potential future students?

Completely reasonable question, but you will notice that the poster is "muzzled", which basically means they have been banned for naughty activity. Sorry to say this person will not be able to help you, but maybe someone else can.

Completely reasonable question, but you will notice that the poster is "muzzled", which basically means they have been banned for naughty activity. Sorry to say this person will not be able to help you, but maybe someone else can.

Thanks! I hadn't noticed it.

If anyone else can give an opinion, I would be delighted.