Urch Forums

How to delete or cancel your Urch forums account

Erin

Occasionally people ask us to 'delete' their forum accounts for them. Unfortunately, it is not really possible to do that with this forum software (vBulletin), since deleting an account can be tricky.

This easiest thing for most people to do is simply change their email addresses in their profile; making this change will keep you from receiving updates and notifications.

If you also wish to change your username, you may do that by contacting Urch forum support (2014-09-24 link: http://www.www.urch.com/forums/sendmessage.php).

To remove your username and email address from our database, we can offer these workarounds and options:

(This is taken from the email that I send out to people who request that I delete their forum accounts.)

I understand that you wish to close your forum account. I will be happy to help you with this.

To do this I will need:

• Your username. (This is the "nickname" you chose when you signed up, not your email address.)
  • Your Secret Word.

=More information about the Secret Word (you might see it called a Security Word, too)

I will need to verify that you are the account holder. To show that this account is indeed yours, please tell me your Secret Word. (There is a place for you to enter your Secret Word in your profile.)

If you do not have a 'Secret Word' yet, it is easy to create one:

Once you complete this step, just tell me what you have written there. Please make sure you tell me exactly what you entered there; if it's not exactly the same, I will not be able to do this for you.

=IMPORTANT!! More information about deleting your account

Once I have the information I need to verify that you are the account holder, I can delete your account. This process will remove your access to the account and will leave your username intact. (But your username won't be 'clickable', as it won't link to a profile.) It will also leave your posts intact. This procedure cannot be reversed, and once I have taken this step, you will no longer have access to your account in any way at all.

Please remember that certain artifacts of your existence will remain. For example (and remember there are other places and ways as well; I'm simply providing some common examples), if someone has quoted your post, the quote of your post will remain; if someone has referred to you using your name, this information will remain. If a search engine, such as Google, has one of your posts showing on its pages, it will likely remain that way, at least for a while.

If you would like to change your username before your account is deleted, you will need to tell me ASAP, before your account is deleted. Again, once your account is deleted, it cannot be modified (for technical reasons).

Sometimes people ask us to delete or edit posts, which we will do for certain reasons, for example, for reasons of privacy. If there is a post that you would like removed from public view, you would need to let us know before we cancel your account. Please read how to have a moderator edit or delete your posts for more information.

• Erin unpinned this topic