Urch Forums

GRE Verbal

Guest GREek

Guest GREek

Hi,

I have a question in the Verbal Section, which I am not sure about. Would really appreciate if someone can help me with this.

Q, Although Shakespeare received little formal education, scholars have in recent years (i)_____ the view that he was (ii)_________ the work of classical authors.

Options :

(i)

[A] substantiated

supported

[C] undermined

(ii)

[D] unfamiliar with

[E] oblivious to

[F] unimpressed by

For the first blank I selected C, which I found to be correct, but for the second blank I had selected E i.e. oblivious to, but the answer given is D i.e. unfamiliar with.

I am not sure why. Or in fact what is the difference between the usage of option D and E. Would really appreciate, if someone can guide me through this. Thanks

Guest mmkamal38
Shakespeare received a little formal education, As in normal sense we could say he was unfamiliar with the work of Classical author. But here "Although" carry the significance. Which says Although he did received little formal education so he may know a little about the classical stuff But Tody's Scholars are unwilling (undermine) to approve that he was unfamiliar. is it okay?

Guest GREek
Shakespeare received a little formal education, As in normal sense we could say he was unfamiliar with the work of Classical author. But here "Although" carry the significance. Which says Although he did received little formal education so he may know a little about the classical stuff But Tody's Scholars are unwilling (undermine) to approve that he was unfamiliar. is it okay?

Hi thanks for your prompt reply.

I am still not very much sure on this. Here I don't think the sense is that of "a little". A little means at least something and has a positive conotation..but little has a negative conotation.

It is mentioned in the sentence as "little"and not "a little" So the sense is that Shakespeare did not receive much of Former education but still Scholars are unwilling (undermine) to approve that he was

oblivious to/ unfamiliar with.....formal education... I am not sure about the difference in the usage of unfamiliar with and oblivious to.. Thanks