Urch Forums

PREP MATERIAL-GENETICS ESPECIALLY

Hello. I intend to sit for the GRE Biochemistry in April, 4 months from now. My study material includes the following.

Lehninger Biochemistry

Albert's Molecular Biology of the Cell

Schaum's Biochemistry

Schaum's Molecular Biology

Schaum's Genetics

For a proper Genetics textbook, I am as yet undecided. Popular opinion seems to favour the Genetics text by Weaver (latest edition 1997, I believe)

and Introduction to Genetic Analysis by Griffith (which seems to have mixed reviews, slightly more in the negative).

I would love advice on which to choose or if to go for some other textbook.

I would also appreciate advice about my study material (what to add, etc).

Thank you

• 1 month later...

Hi JCX,

I also plan to take the subject GRE in Biochmistry in April 2014... I've been scouring through all forums/reviews of GRE Biochemistry study materials to try and get an idea of how to go forward with studying for this test. The consensus is pretty much buy your Biochemistry, Genetics, and Biology books and guide your reading based on the ETS outline for the Biochem test. It looks like you're already on the right track.. I personally have Albert's MCoB, Lehninger's Biochmistry, and Snustad's Genetics (Have not dived in to any of them yet). Genetics is probably my weak point, so I can't offer much study advice in that realm but I read that many of the textbooks overlap in material and you won't be at a disadvantage choosing one of the other. There are also a couple old exams floating around that can help studying/practice. As you can see, I am no expert on this stuff and am looking for advice as well. I'd be more than happy to bounce notes/questions/feedback off each other as we go through this fun, fun time. (That goes for anyone else browsing this thread). Let me know. Good luck!

Sean