Urch Forums

PhD Public Policy

BlackKitty

I've got a question for you all, especially those who are applying to business schools as well as public policy.. This is something I've been wrestling with for a while. I really dig a lot of the research that's being done in business schools, and in particular, marketing departments. I did a PhD seminar for 1st and 2nd year marketing students at a top ~30 program during my senior year of undergrad and found it really interesting. I love the integration of economics, psychology, and statistics and it seems to me that public policy programs are inherently interdisciplinary in that way (perhaps more so). I find the research being done by Bradlow and Fader at Wharton on customer analytics to be pretty awesome, as one example. It seems to me that this sort of research, and some of the stuff going on in machine learning, could easily translate to public policy research (e.g. "big data"). Where the marketing folks are modeling consumer attitudes and preferences in the technology industry for example, it seems the same could be done for, say, patient attitudes and preferences in health care (or even take a provider perspective). At the same time, I worry (worry isn't the right word exactly) that getting a PhD in Marketing might pigeon-hole me as a "marketer" or something, while a PhD in Public Policy or the equivalent is more open. And I'm wondering about career prospects about each, especially with regard to non-academic placement.

So how do you see the relationship? And where are the Bradlow and Fader equivalents in the public policy space?

Whoa this thread is a lot more active now!

Background

University: cum laude from top 25 school - religious studies (south asian) and international development policy

Grad: none

Publications/Presentations: 1 academic publication (not first author), 1 academic presentation at national conference, other professional publications and presentations

Work: 1 year academic research, 1 year managing academic research consortium, 1 year market research, co-founder of social enterprise

My biggest weakness is my GRE scores - mostly quant - was hoping to avoid retaking it but hopefully that will be an easy fix if nothing works out this year

My interests lie at the intersection of international development and business, and unfortunately there's not a whole lot of research being done in this area. So it was challenging finding places to apply to and of course it's only the top programs that are remotely interested in this type of research.

. At the same time, I worry (worry isn't the right word exactly) that getting a PhD in Marketing might pigeon-hole me as a "marketer" or something, while a PhD in Public Policy or the equivalent is more open. And I'm wondering about career prospects about each, especially with regard to non-academic placement.

So how do you see the relationship? And where are the Bradlow and Fader equivalents in the public policy space?

It really probably depends on what you want to ultimately do. Both are good degrees for academic research and private industry jobs. But there are a lot more business schools than public policy schools - so for academic positions it might be easier to get a position at a business school than public policy school. Then again, you can probably get a job at either school with either degree. So it's really a toss up. I would just apply to a mix of both and go with the place that has the best research fit.

I agree with what hailmarry said. And business profs on average have higher salaries than econ profs (and possibly public policy profs). In terms of placement, business fields definitely will be ahead of public policy, until the number of public policy programs start growing, which I believe it will.

I understand the dilemma/debate many of you have with yourself, as you are working and have other attachments. Whether or not to give up everything and pursue doctoral studies is a big life decision to make. But I am in a different situation where it would just be a natural segue into doctoral studies, given that I've never really been out of school (internships don't count :P), and the fact that I didn't even apply to any jobs. I could choose not to do a phd and get a job, but then I will have to find a job first, which will leave me fictionally unemployed for a while at least.

My concern is to first get into some programs so that I have options to choose from. That's why I am applying to both business and policy programs; this way, I am both giving myself more options and at the same time letting the schools decide whether I am a "fit" for their programs. Without getting any offers to being with, I guess all the talk about "decision" would be moot. :P

Anyone hear any news yet?

Nothing yet :(

According to GC, Harvard usually sends out decisions around end of Feb for PhDs, and for masters it can go until March and even April.

The PhD program coordinator at Chicago replied to my email and said their decisions would usually go out in early March. And they do not have interviews so there's no way to know whether they were at least interested in my application and that I might have a chance.

I don't think I would be able to wait for either of them. But I guess even if I did wait, the results would likely be rejections anyway, so it's probably not worth waiting.

• 2 weeks later...
Nothing yet :(

According to GC, Harvard usually sends out decisions around end of Feb for PhDs, and for masters it can go until March and even April.

The PhD program coordinator at Chicago replied to my email and said their decisions would usually go out in early March. And they do not have interviews so there's no way to know whether they were at least interested in my application and that I might have a chance.

I don't think I would be able to wait for either of them. But I guess even if I did wait, the results would likely be rejections anyway, so it's probably not worth waiting.

I can't wait for the results either! Just horrible. Has anybody heard any news?

Somebody wanna share a profile? This topic is surprisingly silent given that there are hundreds of applicants to public policy schools in the US...

Btw, has anyone applied to Oxford's new DPhil in Public Policy program?

I can't wait for the results either! Just horrible. Has anybody heard any news?

Somebody wanna share a profile? This topic is surprisingly silent given that there are hundreds of applicants to public policy schools in the US...

Btw, has anyone applied to Oxford's new DPhil in Public Policy program?

Harvard Kennedy School PhD in Public Policy had 4 admits yesterday Feb 19 (notification by phone) according to GC. The rest will get a snail mail rejection letter which will arrive in early March. I wish they'd just post the letter on the website or send an email so that I can get it over with. Even though this is not an outcome that is unexpected, I still couldn't help but feel a little whiny because out of those four admits not even one is for me? It seems like the only policy school left for me to hear from is Chicago Harris. I believe that the outcome is probably the same. Given that Chicago sends out all decisions also in early March, I might probably end up receiving both rejections at the same time.

Nope, I didn't apply to Oxford's DPhil in Public Policy. In fact I wasn't aware of it. If I was, I'd apply! What do you think about the odds of getting into that program?

Harvard Kennedy School PhD in Public Policy had 4 admits yesterday Feb 19 (notification by phone) according to GC. The rest will get a snail mail rejection letter which will arrive in early March. I wish they'd just post the letter on the website or send an email so that I can get it over with. Even though this is not an outcome that is unexpected, I still couldn't help but feel a little whiny because out of those four admits not even one is for me? It seems like the only policy school left for me to hear from is Chicago Harris. I believe that the outcome is probably the same. Given that Chicago sends out all decisions also in early March, I might probably end up receiving both rejections at the same time.

Nope, I didn't apply to Oxford's DPhil in Public Policy. In fact I wasn't aware of it. If I was, I'd apply! What do you think about the odds of getting into that program?

I'm sorry for the rejection. Hopefully you (we!) get into Chicago! (I didn't apply to Harvard).

One thing though: you seem pretty sure that you've been rejected. Given that you have an MA in Economics, I assumed you are an international student, and international students do not necessarily get a call, right? Also, isn't the starting class at HKS 12 – perhaps there are other people not, mostly international, that have been or will be accepted?

Not sure about Oxford, I believe it will be quite competitive, since there are not too many PhD degree in Public Policy in Europe, and its a growing ''field''!

I only applied to 2 public policy programs, and got the rejection from Duke today (expected since they conducted interviews a long time ago and already sent out acceptances). Just waiting on UNC (which is my top choice), but historically they admit people end of January. Unfortunately, it's a small program and there's only ever one or two entries on grad cafe every year. So, it's difficult to know for sure. But, not looking good! Oh well, better luck next year!

Hmm, my previous message didn't seem to go through. I was wondering whether you are an international students, since I guess int'l students do not necessary receive phone calls? So you still have a chance?

Also, I am on the same boat in terms of Harris; let's hope for the best!

I'm sorry for the rejection. Hopefully you (we!) get into Chicago! (I didn't apply to Harvard).

One thing though: you seem pretty sure that you've been rejected. Given that you have an MA in Economics, I assumed you are an international student, and international students do not necessarily get a call, right? Also, isn't the starting class at HKS 12 – perhaps there are other people not, mostly international, that have been or will be accepted?

Not sure about Oxford, I believe it will be quite competitive, since there are not too many PhD degree in Public Policy in Europe, and its a growing ''field''!

It turned out that more acceptances popoed up on GC since yesterday! harvard public policy • thegradcafe.com

Still, no news of any sort on my end. I am not sure how many of those are duplicates, but most of them are either American or Internationals with US degrees. And most of them got a phone call, although at least one got notified by email. I am located in Canada so I usually get calls from POIs. In fact I have received phone calls from other US programs I applied to. Given that I am even in the same time zone as most of the schools I applied to, I don't think they would hesitate to call me if they had good news.

• 2 months later...