Urch Forums

What are my chances?

trev44

Hi,

I was wondering what schools I should aim for (ranking wise) based on what my resume will look like soon...

Undergrad: double major at a UC, 3.1 GPA

Work experience: 1.5 years at financial data startup. One small promotion, one larger promotion to lead a product.

GMAT: 740

Additional Courses: I plan on taking several math courses to boost my GPA & prove I would/should have done better and not had so much fun in undergrad... Is this a good decision? I'm not sure if it would improve my chances very much. Input greatly appreciated here.

What ranking of schools can I aim for? I'm hoping I would be able to land a top 20.

Thanks in advance!

• 2 years later...
Top 20, maybe if you also have some very solid letters of rec and had some other very notable accomplishments. Your GPA is clearly a weakness, and is going to be a cause for concern for some admin committees. You can probably easily get on top 50, but top 20 is just much trickier.

Have you tried the Predictor Tool at School Match Settings | Background Section | SchoolTorch ? My profile is also similar - I got the following list on the site for MBA schools, which seems a reasonable start .... (categories are from the site)

STRONG (top candidate):

U of Connecticut

u of Pittsburgh

Southern Methodist

COMPETITIVE (above par, solid shot):

Boston U

Penn State

Temple U

PAR (similar to other candidates):

UT Austin

Carnegie Mellon

Cornell

POSSIBLE (need to address gaps):

Columbia

U Cal Berkeley

Tuck

STRETCH:

HBS

Stanford

Wharton

• 1 year later...
Hi,

I was wondering what schools I should aim for (ranking wise) based on what my resume will look like soon...

Undergrad: double major at a UC, 3.1 GPA

Work experience: 1.5 years at financial data startup. One small promotion, one larger promotion to lead a product.

GMAT: 740

Additional Courses: I plan on taking several math courses to boost my GPA & prove I would/should have done better and not had so much fun in undergrad... Is this a good decision? I'm not sure if it would improve my chances very much. Input greatly appreciated here.

What ranking of schools can I aim for? I'm hoping I would be able to land a top 20.

Thanks in advance!

What is your nationality? I am asking since it might be of importance, at least if you are from an overrepresented applicant group, such as Indian applicants etc.

I see several potential weaknesses in your profile, such as the GPA, the limited work experience (most top schools prefer for applicants to have at least 2 years of work experience) and the fact that there doesn’t seem to be any achievements/promotions that would impress the adcom in your work history.

Therefore, I would not say top 20 is a sure thing but you could always try and top 30 should definitely be doable with a professional application.