Urch Forums

MS(Finance) or MBA(Finance)

mohnish90

Hello Everyone,

I am an Indian, currently doing my MBA at IIM Shillong. My specialization in my MBA is Finance. I have given my CFA Level 1 this June and I have got a job in Equity Research division of a MNC bank starting April, 2015. I am interested in making my career in Equities market, something related to Equity Research or Equity Portfolio Management. Since most of the jobs in India are back-end jobs, I am wanting to shift to US. This is why i want to pursue another post graduate degree in US. So which one should I go for, MS in Finance (or) MBA in Finance itself ?

Thanks in advance.

It depends on what you want to end up doing. Do you want to eventually lead/manage a finance department, or do you want to delve further into quantitative analysis? An MBA in the US will have much less finance education than an MS in Finance, and the MBA will have more classes on strategy and leadership - of course this varies from program to program, but in general it is true. So it depends on what you plan to do with the degree in the US. All that we know now is that you do not want a "back-end" job. If you share more details about what job you are looking for (short and long term), maybe we could help a little more.