Urch Forums

GRE's over: Quant-168 and Verbal-156

AbhinavTripathi

Hi folks,

Just gave GRE..it was kind of a nightmare. I fumbled on the verbal part. I had read somewhere(most probably by Magoosh), that if in a verbal section there is no large paragraph, it is for sure a fake section and under that impression my concentration level involuntarily dropped and it got difficult to comprehend.

For verbal : get a strategy about what part to attempt first, for me it was the large RC. For such prioritizing you must do Mock tests. Even if you give three different mock test from the same source you'll be able to decide what part to attempt first.

For quant: Its not as easy as one thinks. Getting a 170 is very possible if you don't make silly mistakes, as I did. Again mock tests, I'll suggest that during mock tests at your home you can reduce the time limits and purposely get into a rush. For example a quant practice at 25 minutes per 20 questions will more efficiently elicit your weaknesses rather than a 35 minutes per 20 questions.

All the best!

Cheers!

Abhinav Tripathi

Hello Spandana,

Your methodology of preparation depends on how much time you have for your exam. It is also necessary to understand the structure of the exam. So for verbal preparation I can give you following important points:

1. Reading Comprehensions have the same weight-age as Sentence Equi + Text Compl. So you need to hone your reading skills, which surely can't be improved much in say three months or so.Even after that lets not lose hope and prepare for the best. Go to sites where you find relevant articles, so stop visiting hindu.com or toi. The site I found most interesting is Arts & Letters Daily - ideas, criticism, debate . Read at least three relevant articles daily. You'll get a whole lot of words there too. You can also go to wordpundit.com/GRE where they have sorted out some important articles for daily reading.

2. There is surely going to be two critical reasoning RC. They, if practiced thoroughly( and they can be practiced even in a single week, giving half an hour each day), can give easy marks. So attack those critical reasoning RCs.

3. About Vocabulary: It is very important to prepare relevant words only and that too not just their dictionary meaning but their contextual meaning. How to do that? There is a site you might be aware of- http://www.vocabulary.com- make an account there, search for lists (many students have prepared lot of GRE lists there). Practice there, you'll at least get firm hold of 500 important words in one month. You can also go to dxschool blog where you can download important preparation material such as- Kaplan 1014 practice questions, Princeton Review word list etc. But these all stuffs can be too dangerous too because of their size. I suggest attack some 1500 words and prepare them firmly.

4. Practice SE and TC from these books. Go to major test.com/GRE (Google it) and take SE and TC tests. Go to wordpandit.com/GRE(Google it) and practice. Practice, Practice and Practice........ Always practice in time frame.

Hope you found my pedantic suggestions palatable enough......:)

Cheers!

Abhinav

Hi harry,

I'll suggest you to explore your interest first. Search for programs rather than universities. For me I have a research background in computational material science and Control Systems. So, I'll be applying for the following universities:-

1. University of Illinoi: Robotics: Ambitious

2. University of Minnesota: MATSE: Almost ambitious

3. University of Pennsylvania: GRASP Robotics program: extremely ambitious

4. Purdue: Control System or Material Science: Almost safe

5. Ann Arbor Michigan : NanoRobotics: Extremely Ambitious

6. TAMU : Computational Mechanics: Almost Safe

7. UT Austin : Nanomaterials : Ambitious

8. ETH Zurich : Nanorobotics : Masters(Safe) and Phd ( extremely ambitious)

I have a GPA of 8.88, relevant work experience of 2 years, graduate from IIT Patna, relevant research internship and strong recommendations. But above all, SOP matters the most, so you must focus on your SOP. You have a GRE score which won't be a reason for rejection at any university. And an astronomical GRE score never gives you an ambitious university admit. So, start exploring.

Cheers!

Abhinav

Hi Abhinav,

I must say your profile is impressive. But, I do not have any work experience. I just have 2 projects in hand, a 6 week training in PIC micro-controller and going to do an internship in January 2015 for 6 months. And I am interested in embedded systems, micro-controllers. I am actually looking for coarse-work only(no thesis). I am applying for University of British Columbia and hope to get an admit but seems a bit difficult. Although I will apply in US universities also.

Can my GRE score be a deciding factor for admission in UBC? Although it is in Canada, but my marks and gre is the only thing I have, apart from co-curriculars and projects.

Harry

Harry,

I'll suggest to start writing emails to the professors of UBC which have similar academic/research interests as you, that might help you make a decision. About GRE score, as I have said earlier it is not for selection, it is only for rejection, and your GRE score is enough to avoid rejection and no GRE score(even 340) is adequate enough to ensure selection.

All the best

Abhinav

• 2 weeks later...

Hey happy diwali abhinav

I was just preparing an e mail to send to a professor in UBC. I have made 2 of 3 projects which are in the field of his interest. Should I give details of those projects in the e mail or attach a CV with the e mail with project details and academic record?

Is academic record important to send to the professor?