Urch Forums

A Confusing RC Question

santanup

I'm stuck with the following RC question. My answer doesn't reconcile with the available one.

In a study, scientists dissected the brains of 10,000 recently deceased people who were all of similar ages and backgrounds. To minimize the risk of contamination and ensure optimal visual analysis of the brain tissue, the scientists washed the tissue before staining it for analysis. The scientists found that the brain tissue of deceased patients with Alzheimer's disease contained unusually high concentrations of aluminum. The aluminum was found in tissues that had lesions containing amyloid protein, a protein that damages nerve cells and has previously been shown to cause Alzheimer's. The scientists hypothesized that Alzheimer,s disease results when amyloid protein grows in lesions caused by excess aluminum in the brain.

Which of the following, if true, would strengthen the scientists’ hypothesis?

A. The brains of some of the deceased people who did not have Alzheimer’s disease had unusually low concentrations of aluminum.

B. Some frequently prescribed medications used to control the symptoms of Alzheimer’s disease cause stomach irritation, for which patients often take antacids containing high concentrations of aluminum.

C. Amyloid protein has also been shown to play a role in Huntington’s disease and Type 2 Diabetes.

D. When the scientists washed the brain tissue, they used water that came from the Stefl Reservoir, a source known to contain water with high concentrations of aluminum.

E. Patients undergoing kidney dialysis sometimes experience disorientation similar to that of Alzheimer’s patients due to a decrease in their ability to excrete aluminum.

I'm going with (A), while answer given is (E). I feel (A) is directly corroborating the scientists' hypothesis. Some light on this would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

SP

• 1 month later...
The scientist's hypothesis is not about finding aluminium in the brain, it was about the causal relationship between excess aluminium and elevated amyloid protein that results in Alzheimer. Option A suggests "some" healthy people has "unusually low" concentration of aluminium. "Unusually low" is the problem word here. If all the healthy patients had low aluminium that the argument would have been more sound. Moreover, this option does not target the main point of argument.Option E indicates the relationship between aluminium and Alzheimer like symptoms that corroborates authors arguments.