Urch Forums

Profile Evaluation : Ph.D. in Operations

jaganjacob91

Program Applying to: Ph.D. in Operations/Business Administration

GRE Score: V 165, Q 170, Total 335

Undegrad degree / GPA: Dual Degree (Bachelor of Technology and Master of Technology) from Indian Institute of Technology Kharagpur

CGPA : 8.99/10

Work Experience: Nil

Teaching Experience: Nil

Research Experience: Have done Bachelor's and Master's degree thesis. Both was well received. Got highest grade in both. One working research paper.

Letter of recommendation: 3 solid LOR. One from Dean of IIT, one from Head of department and one from Asst. Prof. All from Department of Industrial and Systems Engg.

Research Interests: Operations Management, Business Analytics, Decision Science

Schools Considering to Apply to: Yale SOM, UCLA Anderson, USC Marshall, UNC, Florida State University, UC Irvine, Cornell, Kelly School Indiana, UC San Diego

Can someone evaluate my profile and suggest which universities are ambitious and safe? Should I add/delete any more options?

You seem to have a very good profile.

Are your degrees in Industrial Engineering? If that is so, and/or if your thesis is in a related topic, I would say you are quite competitive and should apply to at least a few top schools.

What are your specific research interests? "Operations management" and "decision science" sound very broad.

You seem to have a very good profile.

Are your degrees in Industrial Engineering? If that is so, and/or if your thesis is in a related topic, I would say you are quite competitive and should apply to at least a few top schools.

What are your specific research interests? "Operations management" and "decision science" sound very broad.

Yes, my degrees are in Industrial and Systems Engg. My specific research interest is to use statistics, simulation and operations research to plan business strategies (like pricing, resource allocation etc.) to service industries with objective of maximizing profit. Both my thesis were in that direction.

You should definitely apply to Wharton, HBS, NYU, University of Maryland, Georgia Tech's Business school among others. Since you already have a research focus, do take some time to read related articles in top journals like management science, MSOM, Journal of Operations research etc and apply to specific schools who have active researchers in your area of interest.
  • Like 1