Urch Forums

Profile Evaluation - Fall 15 Int'l Applicant

melkisedek

PROFILE:

Type of Undergrad: Top University from Turkey

Major: B.A. in Economics

Undergrad GPA: 3.68/4

Type of Grad: M.A (at the same university)

Grad GPA: 3.84/4 (first in class)

Math Courses: Calc I-II, Linear Algebra, Differential Eqn, Mathematical Analysis, Real Analysis (Undergrad) C, Real Analysis (Grad) A,

Econ Courses (Undergrad): Micro, Macro, Monetary, Advanced Macroeconmics

Econ Courses (Grad): Micro I, II, Macro I, II, Econometrics I II, Game Theory, Mathematical Economics

GRE: 170 Q, 162 V, 3,5 AW

Letters of Recommendation: 3 all from the Master Prog: One of them is very well known in the field

Research Experience: MA Thesis in Social Choice, working paper on financial networks presented in an international workshop

Teaching Experience: Application to Graph Theory TA, some tutoring

Concerns: Low GRE (AW), horrible toefl speaking score( 19 yet my overall score is 105 ), graduated from MA in 2013

Research Focus: Networks, Game Theory

Other: Currently working on Central Bank in international econ analysis division as a junior analyst.

Applying to: UPenn, Brown, Caltech SS, Michigan Ann Arbor, Northwestern, NYU, Carnegie, Duke, Rochester, Maryland, Princeton, Minnesota

Hi, your profile looks good but suffers from very standard thing - it's hard to say how strong the letters are. Ask your professors where have their sent their students in the past, if any. I think your list is reasonable, but conditional on the letters being from somewhat recognizable guys. If they're not, I would consider adding 2 or 3 lower-ranked schools.

Thanks a lot for the response, I really appreciate it.

Well, my institution sends a few students to top 30 schools each year. A friend of mine got admitted to MIT for instance, and many students who got letters from same professors as me got to UPenn, Northwestern. Carnegie etc. and I believe the quality of the letters will be no different for me. Yet I agree that it would be prudent to add some lower ranking schools to the list. But it is always hard to pick safe schools. I mean Maryland and Minnesota was the safe schools in my mind, but when I think about it maybe I need a little "safer" schools. And my toefl speaking score really bothers me, and there is no time left to retake..

Again thanks for response..