Urch Forums

Best Econ PhDs in UK

krasotaimosgi

Hello there fellow economists!

Just a quick advice request. How would you rank UK PhDs in Econ based on

1) job market placement

2) how they are viewed in the US (how their PhDs are viewed in the US, not how their MSc's or their name brands are viewed in the US)

3) toughness to get in

My interests lie broadly within applied micro.

Please do bear in mind I do not intend to rank in terms of prestige ( If you wish to add a prestige ranking, go ahead!).

Looking forward to your advice guys!

I would say LSE and UCL are the best programs. They have the coursework requirements similar to the US programs, and both places have amazing researchers. Stipends are around 18 pounds per year plus tuition. As most PhD programs in big cities, they have bimodal distributions when it comes to placement, their stars are placed really well.

I would say LSE and UCL are the best programs. They have the coursework requirements similar to the US programs, and both places have amazing researchers. Stipends are around 18 pounds per year plus tuition. As most PhD programs in big cities, they have bimodal distributions when it comes to placement, their stars are placed really well.

I don't disagree with you, but their stipends are a little more generous than you suggest! :-)

Depends whose.

Oxford, LSE and UCL are definitely the absolute top. I'd probably go for UCL or Oxford more than LSE, UCL is really rising, the university in general is excellent, and they are very active in collaborating with organisations on research projects. Warwick should also be considered for applied micro, in addition to having lower living costs if you live in coventry or shared housing in leamington.

As for how tough it is to get into those I'd say LSE > Oxford > UCL/Warwick.

Placements are excellent for all those, maybe less so for Warwick (LSE, Oxford 2014, UCL, Warwick). from this list: LSE > Oxford > UCL > Warwick (looking at 2014 alone).