Urch Forums

Trap or ticket?

phddestiny

If a school says what other program would you like to be considered for if you cannot get an offer for your desired program? Is that a trap?

I mean - if i list another program, say PhD econ adsa substutute for say, PhD policy, will it signify that i am not keen on gettjng a PhD policy and I just want to get into that school OR can it somehow help in that they will give me the other program?

I didn't have that question on any of my applications. I can see how it might be a trap for some programs, but I can see how it might be ok for some programs (i.e. Stanford GSB quant marketing and econ). I can't say specifically what to do here, others may have better advice. My gut feeling is that it probably isn't a trap, assuming you don't say that if you don't get into this business school you are interested in getting accepted into the health science department.

I think I remember that from applying to Duke. I would guess that it is a graduate school designed piece of the application and it is unlikely to matter. If there is another program that you are honestly interested in, put that one down. Otherwise, I wouldn't put anything.

Personally, I wouldn't have been interested in anything other than a PhD in accounting at any of the schools I applied to. Some programs probably overlap enough for a second choice to be valid, but it seems weird to me.

I think you are over-thinking this and whether or not you put a 2nd choice will not affect your chance of getting admitted to the first choice. I would put a 2nd choice if there is a 2nd choice that you'd really consider attending, and leave it blank if you would not consider attending any 2nd choice at the school, and then not worry about it.

I don't think this is a trap. I was accepted to schools where I checked off interests in other programs. I was even accepted to one school where I wrote in my SOP that I would consider an econ admit as well. Since my interests were clearly at the intersection of econ and marketing, I don't think this was viewed in a negative way.

One reason they ask is because other departments may want to try to recruit you. I know people who were accepted to the marketing departments at CMU and NYU after applying to other fields because they thought they may be a good match. I suspect this happens in other fields where the desired skill sets of the applicants of various fields have considerable overlap.