Urch Forums

Please evaluate my chances at PhD in Accounting Fall 2015

zikxy

Hi everyone,

I'm currently filling out applications for PhD in accounting for 2015 Fall.

The following is my profile summary. Any comment or help is much appreciated.

International applicant

Undergrad: Regional State College in the US

GPA: 3.95/4.00

Double Major in Accounting and Economics

GMAT: 650 (V29, Q49) (My practice tests scores were higher but I never got more than 700. I screwed up further during the actual test. And I did put more more than 3 months in preparation. I believe 650 +/- 30 is my range. I do not plan to retake GMAT for my fall 2015 applications,)

LoR: 1 from Accounting, 1 from Economics, and 1 from Mathematics Department. I am pretty sure they are going to be excellent.

SOP: Mediocre

Work: Did 3 internships (at small regional tax firms). Taught a class of 20 11th-grade students in 2009 for a year. That experience is my inspiration for teaching.

Research assistant: Worked as a research assistant with a professor (International Business related)

Extracurriculars: 400+ volunteer and leadership hours in the past 6 years.

University Employment: Official Tutor for the School of Business for 4 years at my college.

Math background: Calculus I, Multivariable Calculus, Linear Algebra, Independent Study: Sotchastic Calculus (All A's except an A- in Linear Algebra)

Accounting Background: Intermediate Acct I & II, Tax I & II, Auditing, Cost Accounting and Advanced Financial Accounting (All A's except a B+ in Tax I)

Economics Background: Intermediate MicroEconomics, Intermediate Macroeconomics, International Economics, Environmental Economics, Money and Economic Activity, Econometrics (All A's)

Awards: Academic Achievement Award- Economics Class of 2014, Best Economics Student- 2013.

I am interested in researching in Archival Financial Accounting. As of now I think I will be more interested in areas related to Disclosures in Publicly Traded Firms.

I have sent my scores to UT Austin, University of Houston, Texas A&M, Penn State University, University of Central Florida, and Morgan State University. I plan to apply to 2 more TOP schools, 4 more schools matching my profile strength, and 3 more Safety Schools. My broader list includes: NYU, Northwestern, Uni of Illinois Urbana, Temple Uni, Florida St Uni, Florida international Uni, University of Florida, All of Uni of Texas with accounting, Arizona state, University of arizona, University of Gerogia, Georgia State Uni. The list was basically based on Availability of Accounting programs as mentioned in their websites and cost of living. (I suffered a lot living in NJ for my undergrad). Any suggestions on this list and addition to is more than welcome.

P.S. I cannot afford to attend the program if I do not get tuition waivers and stipends. I found the related information is well stated in the top universities but not clearly mentioned in the lower ranked universities. I was wondering if sufficient funding is available in lower ranked universities.

Again, I will appreciate any help or comments.

Thank you,

Zikxy

Edited by zikxy

We have a business PhD forum on this site that would be more likely to get your questions answered. I am a second year accounting PhD student at a good university.

As you seem to know, your biggest killer is the GMAT. That score and being a foreign applicant will lead to worries about your ability to conduct research in English, though your math background seems solid.

I recommend getting your SOP to be better than mediocre. Do you really want an accounting PhD? What do you know about accounting research?

Your application list contains some schools that I would say are not realistic for you with that GMAT score and you don't seem to have an amazing letter or anything like that to compensate for it. I am not sure what schools on your list you consider safeties. I am saying that NYU, Northwestern, and UT Austin are not realistic, but the other schools are generally pretty good. Morgan state, Central Florida, FSU, Houston, and Georgia State are probably targets, the others I would call stretches that are worth applying to if you like them. All programs offer stipends, I believe they are lower at lower-tiered schools, but they are still there. Your low cost of living desire also contradicts your desire to apply to NYU and Northwestern.

I wouldn't be surprised if you got into a program if you applied with your profile as it is right now to the schools you listed. So I am not trying to be discouraging. I just think there is a chance you would get shut out.

I attended a regional state college and had a very good GPA, tutored a lot, and applied to 1 program on your list with a 690 GMAT and was rejected. I then attended a top 25 MAcc program, took research classes and got to know very respected faculty members and reapplied to schools the next year with a 750 GMAT and got into a few good programs. I think that a master's from a better program could help you substantially. I realize that funding may be a big issue here, but it could help a lot and I think it is worth mentioning.

If you have any follow up or clarification questions, come over to the business phd forum on this site and you will likely get more help.

Thank you for your response.

I understand my low verbal is my weakest point. I was wondering if a recommendation letter from my English professor would be of any help.

I have been researching about accounting phd for quite a bit now. I first started looking at it after a few professors suggested me to look into it and see if I would be interested in anything such. I went through a few accounting journals as mentioned by research types in BYU website. I also looked at the researches from faculty members at different universities I am applying to. From what I have gathered, I will be very interested in Archival Financial Research condensed at the effects of Financial Information Disclosure on the Capital markets.

I am working on my SOP. I will make sure it pulls up my application strength a bit.

Thank you once again for your suggestions.

(I am resposting this to the Business PHD forum. )