Urch Forums

Lazy Econ PhD Grads

fkrueg1

This sequence signals to adcomms a level of intellectual curiousity not strictly produced by ambition

I tried to think of a discipline that is more likely to signal intellectual curiosity pursued for it's own sake than pure mathematics, but I came up empty.

Edited by Voided

Its obvious there are more variables than what are discussed on here. Why not let people think about them if they want?

I'm not so sure there are other variables at play. And if your starting from 0, the opportunity cost of increasing other factor other than mathematical/economic preparation and research ability likely outweighs the benefits of those rather unrelated, backdoor traits that may idiosyncratically positively affect admission outcomes.

In summary: I think it is a waste of time to try and identify these variables, because even if they are well identified, they are still a waste of time to pursue - at least WRT admissions.

Remember, we're thinking about this in a goldfish bowl of admissions. In life, there are many reason to do things that aren't related to admission to an economics ph.d. program, but if we're strictly trying to maximize admissions probabilities, one is better off taking more math and doing more research.

Any other theories? I'm trying to hack the top 10.

You could write a response to the JEP article about the omitted variables in Ph.D. admission and how that drives the overall unproductivity of Ph.D. from top-10 departments. Tie it into spillover effects from being born in a non-university hospital. Economists LOVE spillovers.

It appears "Lazy Econ PhD Grads" has turned into "Lazy Ways To Get Into Econ PhD"

I don't think its necessarily lazy to find a hack when you are not a conventional 18 year old freshman tyring to lay out a plan. As an older non-traditional student, where time has greater opportunity costs its sound economic thinking to maximize efficiency.

I don't think its necessarily lazy to find a hack when you are not a conventional 18 year old freshman tyring to lay out a plan. As an older non-traditional student, where time has greater opportunity costs its sound economic thinking to maximize efficiency.

This thread is amusing -- we've officially hit diminishing returns on analyzing graduate school admissions.