Urch Forums

Please review my essay: TOEFL #001: People attend college or university for many ...

hardiktmistry

Task: 1. People attend college or university for many different reasons (for example, new experiences, career preparation, increased knowledge). Why do you think people attend college or university? Use specific reasons and examples to support your answer.

Response:

In my opinion, people attend educational institutions mainly to gain knowledge and to prepare themselves to secure a career of their choice. They also attend college or universities, so that they can get a chance to interact with other people in the society and thus gain a lot more in terms of experience and understanding of the human nature and society.

To begin with, for most people, the main objective behind attending a college or university is to gain knowledge. High school provides the basic level of knowledge of any subject while college takes it to intermediate to advanced level. One can get knowledge of a specific subject in many ways, for example, through an online course, but attending an educational institution ensures that a systematic and correct approach is followed and a relevant subset of topics is selected for study from the infinite pool of knowledge sources. Another major advantage provided is the selection of courses outside of one’s main program. For example, if someone likes to learn new languages, he can enroll for French language classes even though he is an engineering student / I am taking French language classes even though I am an engineering student as I like to learn new languages.

Enrolling into a college provides opportunity to meet new people from different regions, communities and even different countries. Taking part in co-curricular activities at college also helps to improve soft skills. For example, technical festival at my college provided me opportunity to meet new people from different parts of my country and get to know about their culture. Being part of an action committee at such event also helped me to bring out my management skills.

Last but not least, competitions in job markets increases with time and to qualify for a post becomes difficult for a students with only high school education as every recruiting company wants to hire those who excel in their academic careers and are adept in their field of study. To get success in this rat race, a student takes an admission in university where he gets a good exposure to learn theoretically and practically to improve his skill. Moreover, basic salary also depends on the education level of a student, so to earn a lucrative salary everyone is willing to pursue their higher studies.

To recapitulate, students have different aspects to get admitted in universities and colleges. Summarizing, some want to get sumptuous job to afford comfortable life, some want to do researches and explore the ocean of knowledge.