Urch Forums

Fall 2015 Profile Evaluation - Management/OB (Micro)

Jake24TT

Hello, I am currently a senior looking to get into a PhD Program in OB and was just wondering about my chances.

Program: Organizational Behavior/Management (Micro)

GRE: 160 V (84%) 164 Q (88%) 4.5 (80%)

Undergrad: Will graduate with a BBA (Management/Marketing double concentration) in May of 2015 from a business school at a Top 20 University

GPA: 3.83

Work experience: None, other than summer internships

Teaching experience: TA for 2 courses: Principles of Organization & Management, Negotiations

Research experience: Currently working alongside 2 well-known professors in OB at my University. No publications.

Letter of recommendation: Should be 3 strong recommendations (2 from the professors I mentioned above that I researched for, another from a professor in the sociology department. All currently publishing)

Research interests: Decision Making, First Impression Management, Stereotypes, Groups and Teams, Power and Status

Schools in consideration: Top 20 Programs, the usual suspects

Any feedback would be much appreciated! Thanks!

Overall, I think you have a good profile. What was your combined GRE score percentile?

I think lack of work experience (in OB/Management) might be a bit of an issue at some universities, but will be seen as a plus at many. Take a look at the student profiles at each school website and see whether there's a clear bias toward older/younger or whether there's a mix. I think your current research experience is a big plus, and will likely be a differentiator.

I'd recommend you apply a little more widely than top 20. I think you very well could get into a top 20 program, but I think it's a risky endeavor to exclusively apply to T20 schools.

Also, your research interests are all legitimate interests, but seem a little disparate. I don't see how these all go together--especially in a way that tells a story in an SOP. I think you'd do better to select one or two focal interests and be able to speak very cogently to each of them in an interview.

I'd recommend you apply a little more widely than top 20. I think you very well could get into a top 20 program, but I think it's a risky endeavor to exclusively apply to T20 schools.

Also, your research interests are all legitimate interests, but seem a little disparate. I don't see how these all go together--especially in a way that tells a story in an SOP. I think you'd do better to select one or two focal interests and be able to speak very cogently to each of them in an interview.

Two pieces of great advice here. You research interests as they stand now cover about half of OB so I would definitely narrow your focus.