Urch Forums

2015 Marketing Interview/Admission/Rejection Results

lfollis

This is very appropriate, especially since I grew up five miles from Disneyland and had an annual pass as a kid. I think I might send them a screenplay. Seriously, it's just like one of those movies where this guy becomes infatuated with some glamorous French model and the girl next door who has been his friend since grade school helps him try to impress her while hiding a secret crush. Everyone in the audience knows that he should be with the girl next door, but it takes him the better part of the movie to figure it out and finally there is a climactic scene where he's on the verge of losing her to... I don't know... some other guy asked her to prom, or maybe she's thinking about going away to college, or there's a Sharknado... anyway, climactic scene (probably raining): He confesses his recently realized true feelings, she embraces him, and they live happily ever after... and move to Oregon, have two kids and raise chickens.

This analogy - is AWESOME! I keep telling people that PhD applications are a lot like dating!

• Replies 434
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...By UNA I'm thinking you mean NAU (Northern Arizona University)? NAU doesn't have a doc program, and their MBA is significantly lower than either UA or ASU. Beautiful campus but they primarily focus on the health fields (PA and PT are their big ones) rather than business. (Sorry for rambling, AZ native!)

@huan0780 Eller is a great school, and I definitely wouldn't rule them out against SC. That said, at the end of the day, you need to go with where you think you'll be most productive. Your gut isn't a bad decision maker (in my experience).

Thanks. And I think gut is always a good guide too.

Hi! I am a future CB candidate. I made my own wait list of schools, not of candidates. Now I am figuring out a short list and found out U Maryland and INSEAD are on the borderline. In particular, they are ranked highly in UTD, but it seems not by CB. Could you tell me what you think about two schools in the aspect of CB? Position, placement in US, anything else.

Hi! I am a future CB candidate. I made my own wait list of schools, not of candidates. Now I am figuring out a short list and found out U Maryland and INSEAD are on the borderline. In particular, they are ranked highly in UTD, but it seems not by CB. Could you tell me what you think about two schools in the aspect of CB? Position, placement in US, anything else.

the first thing you should do is contact them to let them know they are on your waitlist because, based on the UTD rankings, they aren't doing so hot. UTD rankings are the primary concern of every respectable research institution. they will take this as a sign of your seriousness as a candidate and then recommend that the better schools take you because you figured out that they are clearly big phonies.

Hi urchers! Congrats to everyone with acceptances!

I am an easy-going candidate with a decent quantitative training and a background in economics.

I have gotten an acceptance from Bocconi (quantitative marketing) with funding. I know "Bocconi" rhymes with a few words in our lexicon. But on a serious note, does anyone have insights about their phd program? Usually, we hear a lot about top programs and have loads of info about them on the forums but there is hardly any info about other schools. I don't have any ambitions to seek a top placement in a US school. So, would Bocconi be an okay choice?

One more thing, how does Bocconi compare with ERIM?

I am an easy-going candidate with a decent quantitative training and a background in economics.

I have gotten an acceptance from Bocconi (quantitative marketing) with funding. I know "Bocconi" rhymes with a few words in our lexicon. But on a serious note, does anyone have insights about their phd program? Usually, we hear a lot about top programs and have loads of info about them on the forums but there is hardly any info about other schools. I don't have any ambitions to seek a top placement in a US school. So, would Bocconi be an okay choice?

In my opinion, if you want to stay in Europe, I think that Bocconi will provide you with a great education and background. If you plan to come to the US afterwards, even at lower ranked schools, it will be difficult but not impossible. I don't know anyone who got their PhD there, but I do have some friends who did undergrad or master's there. They all seemed to love it, and one, I know, ended up getting a PhD from a top school in the States, so I think it's pretty solid. That's all I can really say, though, as I don't have much experience with European schools.

Alright I feel like I've harped on this subject enough, but let me repeat myself: Rankings are a rather poor means of deciding which schools to apply to. They are a good place to start to get a baseline feel for where a university is at, but you have to do your own work to decide whether the school is right for you.

There now that that is out of the way, they are both fine schools and will place you perfectly fine after the fact. All of this assumes that you work hard during the program and get publications out. They both have solid CB faculty, depending on what your research interests are. And that's all I'm going to say about that.

Also I'm very confused about your post. I think that what you are asking is "How do UMD and INSEAD rank in terms of CB?" and I think I answered that. If this was not your intention, please clarify. What is this waitlist thing you're talking about? It's confusing and I've not had enough coffee yet.

Dude, if you get off INSEAD w-list then you'll still be getting plenty of glamorous French models ... but I bet your wife and the chickens are not gonna be happy going Francais. :D

I actually contacted the PhD coordinator at INSEAD and told him my situation. He said it would be safe to let Oregon know they are at the top of my list. I'm OK with not getting in to INSEAD. Going through the application process at INSEAD and speaking with some of their Professors really motivated me to read more studies in my areas of interest. It made me a better applicant.

In a strange twist, I won an incentive trip to Paris through my work. I'm going to try and sneak away for a day so I can visit INSEAD and meet a few people in person. I still really like the school and the people in the Marketing department even though I didn't get in. Plus, I heard that the only thing Versailles has that the palace in Fontainebleau lacks are crowds.

And that's how that's done! Good game. :)

Thanks! See you on campus!

This analogy - is AWESOME! I keep telling people that PhD applications are a lot like dating!

Haha! Thanks! Yeah, dating is about the only thing that has ever caused me this much anxiety and cost so much just to end in rejection most of the time. But hey, in both cases it only takes one yes... and you can't really act on multiple yeses anyway.

Both of those schools have CB faculty that I was really interested in working with. They both place extremely well and can help you get your foot in the door at about any school you want if you put in the work and get some good publications. During the application season I spoke with a PhD Candidate at INSEAD who turned down job offers at NYU and Northwestern for another great (and definitely under-rated) CB department.

As far as your list goes, it is probably a good idea to apply as broadly as you can afford. Focus more on research match than ranking and placement when deciding where to apply. It took me a while to learn this lesson (thanks Xanth!) but so far the only two schools that have shown any interest in me as an applicant have been the two best research matches.

If you are interested in placement data, I've compiled the results of the AMA Who Went Where survey for the last twelve years. I've assigned numerical values to each placement and ranked schools based on their average placement. I've continued to tweak my point system and am currently on version six. Unfortunately, I couldn't separate out CB, Quant, and Strategy. Regardless, I think it is useful as a starting point if you know nothing about business PhD programs like I did before I started this journey. Ironically, I totally disregarded this data when making a final decision because past performance doesn't guarantee future results and there are a ton of other factors that you'll learn about along the way by talking to people at schools of interest. PM me if you want me to send you the most current spreadsheet.

One major thing with Bocconi is that, while SDA Bocconi is accredited by AACSB, Bocconi University (their doctoral school) is not. So, if you go to Bocconi, you will be getting a non-AACSB degree. I don't know if you can piggy-bank on the accreditation of SDA Bocconi in anyway but, from a bureaucratic standpoint, my advisor warned me against Bocconi if I want to have open options (at lower-ranked teaching schools) in the States. On the other hand, I believe that ERIM's PhD degree is jointly awarded by Rotterdam School of Management (AACSB-accredited) and the School of Economics so it's considered AACSB-accredited. On an academic perspective, I think Bocconi and Erasmus are on the same level. One step below INSEAD-LBS but still in the league of very good European schools. On an employability perspective, AACSB trumps.

Another observation I've made is that Erasmus is pretty strong in continental Europe with placements at HEC, IESE, ESADE, etc .... while Bocconi is strong in London/U.K. and neither is strong in the U.S. Also, it seems like a significant number of Bocconi PhDs are teaching at Bocconi.

I love Bocconi and I think it's a very solid choice if you're sure you're going to stay in Europe (EU-Citizen perhaps?). But I think ERIM will give you wider (but not necessary better) job prospects. The Magnificent Beard is totally right that it's difficult to be placed in the U.S. But an equally-wise man once told me staying in EU is rarely a bad choice.

Hey Dr. Chicken,

I am still deciding between Paris (not-INSEAD) and London but, if you somehow end up at INSEAD, I'd love to dine with you in France. Have a taste for snails? Lol. You speak Quenya? Klingon? Francais? =))

Btw, can I have your compiled AMA Docsig Who Went Where document? Thanks.

Hey Dr. Chicken,

I am still deciding between Paris (not-INSEAD) and London but, if you somehow end up at INSEAD, I'd love to dine with you in France. Have a taste for snails? Lol. You speak Quenya? Klingon? Francais? =))

Btw, can I have your compiled AMA Docsig Who Went Where document? Thanks.

I'm pretty sure I'm not getting into INSEAD at this point, but we'll probably see each other sometime at some conference some where in the world.

I've had escargot, and it's pretty good with garlic butter. It's a lot like shellfish. However, around my house the chickens usually get first dibs on the snails. They really like the way they crunch.

No Quenya or Klingon but my German is pretty good, my Spanish is passable, and I know enough French and Latvian to not starve in those countries.

I'm more than happy to share the Docsig doc... I spent way too much nervous energy fueled time on it. PM me your e-mail address and I'll send you the Excel File.

I love Bocconi and I think it's a very solid choice if you're sure you're going to stay in Europe (EU-Citizen perhaps?). But I think ERIM will give you wider (but not necessary better) job prospects. The Magnificent Beard is totally right that it's difficult to be placed in the U.S. But an equally-wise man once told me staying in EU is rarely a bad choice.

As an ex EU-grad-student that has moved to the US, one thing that really made a big difference for me was the opportunity to visit other schools abroad during grad-school. I strongly believe that this opportunity has been a major factor in both my development as a researcher as well as opened up career-possibilities I would not have had otherwise.

So long story short, I would see whether both schools facilitate spending time at another university if you hope to do so during grad-school.

Hey Endrist, what's the "lemnar" equivalent for a fortnight? Because I'm currently going through one such fortnight :D

that's a great question. i don't think Tolkien created a Quenya word for fortnight. if it was the orcs, i'd guess it's "lemnar lemnar". but the elves are a well-cultured people. I guess we can use "asta", it mean a period of time.

I hope your Endristasta will end soon, fellow.

It's U of Arizona. And yes, I heard that too that one professor in quant side is joining UA and another in CB is leaving too. Sad about it. But I still feel that SC is slightly beter than UA. Though I do think UA is good. And now UA is waiting for my response. Any suggestion on that?

UA is a very good school, so is SC. They both have great reputation in the field. Sometimes faculty attritions/new hires are out of your control, and I actually don't think it is that critical (unless your advisor is leaving). It could happen in any of your years, so don't feel sad. Are you now deciding between UA and SC? Did you decline your offer from VT?

In my opinion, if you want to stay in Europe, I think that Bocconi will provide you with a great education and background. If you plan to come to the US afterwards, even at lower ranked schools, it will be difficult but not impossible. I don't know anyone who got their PhD there, but I do have some friends who did undergrad or master's there. They all seemed to love it, and one, I know, ended up getting a PhD from a top school in the States, so I think it's pretty solid. That's all I can really say, though, as I don't have much experience with European schools.

Thanks Xanthus! Really appreciate your comment. I do hope that their PhD program is also a good one like their undergrad and Masters. My main focus at the moment is to be able to do good quality research during my PhD and try to get some decent publication(s) under my belt. By the way, is the US open for a post-doc for a PhD from Europe?

One major thing with Bocconi is that, while SDA Bocconi is accredited by AACSB, Bocconi University (their doctoral school) is not. So, if you go to Bocconi, you will be getting a non-AACSB degree. I don't know if you can piggy-bank on the accreditation of SDA Bocconi in anyway but, from a bureaucratic standpoint, my advisor warned me against Bocconi if I want to have open options (at lower-ranked teaching schools) in the States. On the other hand, I believe that ERIM's PhD degree is jointly awarded by Rotterdam School of Management (AACSB-accredited) and the School of Economics so it's considered AACSB-accredited. On an academic perspective, I think Bocconi and Erasmus are on the same level. One step below INSEAD-LBS but still in the league of very good European schools. On an employability perspective, AACSB trumps.

Another observation I've made is that Erasmus is pretty strong in continental Europe with placements at HEC, IESE, ESADE, etc .... while Bocconi is strong in London/U.K. and neither is strong in the U.S. Also, it seems like a significant number of Bocconi PhDs are teaching at Bocconi.

This is super useful! Really appreciate your feedback, especially because I wasn't even aware of the AACSB aspect.

As an ex EU-grad-student that has moved to the US, one thing that really made a big difference for me was the opportunity to visit other schools abroad during grad-school. I strongly believe that this opportunity has been a major factor in both my development as a researcher as well as opened up career-possibilities I would not have had otherwise.

So long story short, I would see whether both schools facilitate spending time at another university if you hope to do so during grad-school.

Thanks. Yes, I do plan to spend time at other universities during my PhD and my understanding is that both the schools support this after the first year of coursework.

Thanks Xanthus! Really appreciate your comment. I do hope that their PhD program is also a good one like their undergrad and Masters. My main focus at the moment is to be able to do good quality research during my PhD and try to get some decent publication(s) under my belt. By the way, is the US open for a post-doc for a PhD from Europe?

Post Doc in US, perhaps, should not be much of an issue. Am aware of atleast two very well known researchers who received their PhD in Europe, and later pursued their Post doc in US.

1. Francesca Gino (HBS)

2. Roderick Swaab (INSEAD)

At the same time, I know of them since they are famous... And am sure, there would be many who would graduate each year from Europe... But your question that "is the US open for a post-doc for a PhD from Europe?" the answers seems to be yes...

Post Doc in US, perhaps, should not be much of an issue. Am aware of atleast two very well known researchers who received their PhD in Europe, and later pursued their Post doc in US.

1. Francesca Gino (HBS)

2. Roderick Swaab (INSEAD)

I don't know anything about Swaab, but although Gino's PhD is technically from Italy, she actually completed much of the coursework and worked on her dissertation at HBS.

Wonder, when (or if) it (ever) would be "happily married"

Yep, after five years of seriously dating, you end up moving out and marrying one of her best friends (usually with lower standards, but not always). However, after those five years together, you have learned more about yourself as a researcher and you both will have a special place in the other's heart.