2015 Marketing Interview/Admission/Rejection Results

lfollis

Institution Name: Washington University in St. Louis

Concentration: Marketing (CB)

Date of Notification: March 10

Type of Notification: Email

Notification: Accepted

Posted on GradCafe?: Yes!!!

Comments: I am so excited. I really love the faculty and I think it's a great fit.

Big congrats! One of my friends is doing Quant there. Great program!

• Replies 434
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Comments: I am so excited. I really love the faculty and I think it's a great fit.

Congrats! That's a very good school.

Lack of an email probably means you made it through the round of desk rejects and at least got some additional consideration. My guess would be most of the mass email rejections were to people who were eliminated earlier on. But this is just conjecture on my part. Although, I know that some of the schools that where seriously considering me but never interviewed me also never sent me a official rejection.

So, curiosity got the best of me

Institution Name: Duke (Fuqua)

Date of Notification: March 12th

Type of Notification: E-mail

Notification: Wait List

Posted on GradCafe?: Not yet

Comments: I'm very pleasantly surprised by this! I saw the Duke TGC bloodbath during Endristlemnar, felt left out that I didn't get ANY notification and wondered where my rejection was (I didn't interview). Emailed the office and got told I was on the WL. I'm not sure where I am on the actual WL since I'm assuming the people they actually talked to are farther ahead of me, so it's highly unlikely this will convert to an admit, but still, it's nice to have gotten consideration and not auto-rejected. :)

Edited by wannabephd

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

I officially accepted Oregon's offer today. I went to campus to hand deliver the letter and ended up having lunch with Eventualprofessor and one of the first year Marketing students. I'm so excited to get started that I'll probably take any excuse to be on campus between now and September.

Everyone has been so welcoming! I e-mailed all of the Profs that I interviewed with to let them know my decision and they seem genuinely excited that I'll be joining their program this Fall. I don't think I've ever gotten such a warm welcome from any school or workplace.

I officially accepted Oregon's offer today. I went to campus to hand deliver the letter and ended up having lunch with Eventualprofessor and one of the first year Marketing students. I'm so excited to get started that I'll probably take any excuse to be on campus between now and September.

Everyone has been so welcoming! I e-mailed all of the Profs that I interviewed with to let them know my decision and they seem genuinely excited that I'll be joining their program this Fall. I don't think I've ever gotten such a warm welcome from any school or workplace.

Life just got better for you. Do something fun this summer to charge your batteries.

Congrats on making the decision! That is a super nice welcome!

Congrats! I hope it happens to me too! (Of course with another university that I'm waiting for!) :)

Yeah it's a great feeling. Go out and relax and reload for the long road ahead. Soon enough you'll be working late nights wondering about the choices you've made in life and whether coming back to school was a good idea. Also, if you can swing it, try to stake you claim on a desk before anyone else shows up. There are a lot of things that I've learned through my program so far, but by far the most important is this: the placement of your desk is directly correlated with your potential to succeed in any program. When you are a professor this shifts to where your office is located and how big it is.

Yeah it's a great feeling. Go out and relax and reload for the long road ahead. Soon enough you'll be working late nights wondering about the choices you've made in life and whether coming back to school was a good idea. Also, if you can swing it, try to stake you claim on a desk before anyone else shows up. There are a lot of things that I've learned through my program so far, but by far the most important is this: the placement of your desk is directly correlated with your potential to succeed in any program. When you are a professor this shifts to where your office is located and how big it is.

Observation: Very productive professors tend to get corner offices and have fancy titles like "endowed chair of blahblahblah".

Conclusion: Big offices greatly enhance research productivity.

Observation: Very productive professors tend to get corner offices and have fancy titles like "endowed chair of blahblahblah".

Conclusion: Big offices greatly enhance research productivity.

Implications for Practice: To maximize productivity obtain large corner office and "endowed chair of blahblahblah" before conducting research

Life just got better for you. Do something fun this summer to charge your batteries.

Congrats on making the decision! That is a super nice welcome!

Congrats! I hope it happens to me too! (Of course with another university that I'm waiting for!) :)

Thanks guys! As celebration of staying in town, my wife and daughters brought home 4 new baby chicks. See my oldest daughter had interpreted "We're not getting any more chickens because we don't even know if we're staying here" said off hand at the feed store, to mean "If we stay here, I promise you with all my heart, that we will get as many baby chicks as you can carry."

I'm planning a couple of camping/ road trips while I still have the company car. I also really want to get all of those lingering home and garden projects finished before the program because I know I won't have the time or money to do any of them once I start.

About this desk thing... any word on that front, eventualprof? I don't think the Accounting and Finance folks would take too kindly to my, er, communication style... especially when caffeinated.

So - any idea of an "average" time between interview and acceptance or rejection? If you interviewed 5 weeks ago, and it's already the middle of March, with no update from the school on your status, is it a good idea to assume you have been or will be rejected?

ETA: No activity on TGC for this school either...

So - any idea of an "average" time between interview and acceptance or rejection? If you interviewed 5 weeks ago, and it's already the middle of March, with no update from the school on your status, is it a good idea to assume you have been or will be rejected?

ETA: No activity on TGC for this school either...

It is really school specific. There isn't an average time. I've heard of schools telling you the following day and schools telling you 2 months after the fact.

Because there is a ton of bureaucratic nonsense that has to happen to accept a student, it can take a while at some place. Sorry, I wish I could give you a more specific answer.

It is really school specific. There isn't an average time. I've heard of schools telling you the following day and schools telling you 2 months after the fact.

Because there is a ton of bureaucratic nonsense that has to happen to accept a student, it can take a while at some place. Sorry, I wish I could give you a more specific answer.

I figured. It's just the middle of March and I'm trying to make sense of the situation. Silly bureaucracy

It's like they read my mind wondering my post/interview status

Institution Name: Minnesota

Concentration: Marketing CB

Date of Notification: March 17th

Notification: Rejection

Posted on GradCafe?: Not yet

Comments: Irish luck didn't help me today (I'm not Irish...) This definitely wasn't my strongest interview by any stretch of the imagination.

Edited by wannabephd
font was super small for some reason

Institution Name: University of Michigan (Ross)

Date of Notification: March 19th

Type of Notification: Phone

Notification: Accepted!!!

Posted on GradCafe?: Yes

Comments: Thrilled! Great research fit, great program, great people!

Institution Name: University of Michigan (Ross)

Date of Notification: March 19th

Type of Notification: Phone

Notification: Accepted!!!

Posted on GradCafe?: Yes

Comments: Thrilled! Great research fit, great program, great people!

Go Blue! Congrats!!!

OK, in the PhD applications as dating analogy I've been using, I am officially off the market!

I officially accepted USC Marshall, and I couldn't be more excited! Such a great program, I REALLY like the faculty and students, and the place is just such a good fit for me! [w00t][banana]This is me dancing and jumping for joy!

Other Urch'ins pointed out that they could see my excitement when I posted my "acceptance" post. And it's true. This is the one I was pulling for most after the interviews.

I can't bring myself to say "go Trojans" or "Fight on!" quite yet, but even still, I'm not friends with Sheetrockero during football season. :boxing:

Now if you excuse me, I'm going to go burn my GRE study prep books...

Edited by wannabephd

Well fine then, I won't save you a seat for the Oregon vs USC game at Autzen Stadium this Fall.

He he he. Actually I really like the Oregon team, rivalry aside. Seem like a really classy (if not stylish) program. I mean, how can you NOT like Marcus Mariota. I was nervous for you guys after Chip Kelly left, and I hope you have someone to fill Mariota's shoes...