Urch Forums

2015 Marketing Interview/Admission/Rejection Results

lfollis

Another part for me is a little OCD. I want to finish checking schools off of my list/ map. I have a map with all the schools that I applied to marked with color coded flags that say "Accepted", "Rejected", or "Waiting". So, that's how I deal with obsession and nervous energy.

I had an excel sheet with color coding. Once I accepted the offer and withdrew my applications I never once looked at any of the other websites. I just marked down that I got into every school to which I had applied, so the entire sheet was green. It made me feel good.

• Replies 434
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had an excel sheet with color coding. Once I accepted the offer and withdrew my applications I never once looked at any of the other websites. I just marked down that I got into every school to which I had applied, so the entire sheet was green. It made me feel good.

I took all of "Rejected" pins off of my map, after reading this. I feel a lot better now.

Another part for me is a little OCD. I want to finish checking schools off of my list/ map. I have a map with all the schools that I applied to marked with color coded flags that say "Accepted", "Rejected", or "Waiting". So, that's how I deal with obsession and nervous energy.

You have a map? I had a spreadsheet (color coded) and I thought I was diligent! :)

Although, I now want to hear back from UCLA. Even just give me my "oh we were planning to reject you anyway" form letter. I told my family the rejection is probably stuck in Los Angeles traffic

• 2 weeks later...
First of all, congratulations to you.

I am a long time listener but first time caller to this thread, as they might say. It has been great support for me at many times and also humorous at others, especially the Tolkien references.

There is no real way to segue into this but I am on the wait list at Wash U and was wondering if you, Tryingfor2015, have accepted this offer, most likely plan to, or are still in hot debate about it? I heard they made two CB offers and I don't know the status of either. If anyone has any info on what is happening with both or either of the offers it would be GREATLY appreciated. I am on a very, let me stress, very tight deadline from another university about making a decision and would really like to know what would happen with my application to Olin. Sorry, to introduce myself and then ask for something but I guess ya gotta do what ya gotta do.

Also, I want to say a big congratulations to Sheetrockero on your Oregon acceptance. Your journey has particularly resonated with me.

Finally, thank you to XanthusARES for your diligent and helpful responses to many different threads on this forum!

First off, I am SO sorry. I totally went ghost. I've been obsessively checking this forum for years and practically living on it for the last few months. When it was time to make a decision, I took a small URCH/Gradcafe vacay.

This is so delayed at this point that you probably have news. First off, congratulations on the waitlist and I hope that we get to be classmates!

I'm going to message you privately. But, to everyone, I'm sure this is no big surprise but I accepted!!

First off, I am SO sorry. I totally went ghost. I've been obsessively checking this forum for years and practically living on it for the last few months. When it was time to make a decision, I took a small URCH/Gradcafe vacay.

This is so delayed at this point that you probably have news. First off, congratulations on the waitlist and I hope that we get to be classmates!

I'm going to message you privately. But, to everyone, I'm sure this is no big surprise but I accepted!!

Vacation from TGC/Urch? What? :)

CONGRATS on the acceptance!

Hi,

I can really do with some advice here. I'm 29 year old male from India and intend to apply for PhD in Marketing. I've a MBA degree and four years of work experience in marketing (I know they don't count much). I missed the deadlinesfor most of the schools for 2015 fall. The ones I applied, I didn't hearback. So, I want to start preparing for 2016 straightaway. Unfortunately, I'm not in touch with my business school teachers. I really want to gain some voluntary research experience. Can someone please suggest how to go about it because I'm totally clueless right now. I don’t know how to work on researchproposal. Can I independently write paper or work with some professor online? Isee there are approximately 6 months before application starts for next year.Kindly suggest the ways to strengthen my application.

Btw my GMAT score is 700(I intend to take it again to improve 20-30 points). MyTOEFL is 102.My grades are pretty average (translated to around 3.0 in USsystem). But I plan to apply all over US and Europe.

Hi,

I can really do with some advice here. I'm 29 year old male from India and intend to apply for PhD in Marketing. I've a MBA degree and four years of work experience in marketing (I know they don't count much). I missed the deadlinesfor most of the schools for 2015 fall. The ones I applied, I didn't hearback. So, I want to start preparing for 2016 straightaway. Unfortunately, I'm not in touch with my business school teachers. I really want to gain some voluntary research experience. Can someone please suggest how to go about it because I'm totally clueless right now. I don’t know how to work on researchproposal. Can I independently write paper or work with some professor online? Isee there are approximately 6 months before application starts for next year.Kindly suggest the ways to strengthen my application.

Btw my GMAT score is 700(I intend to take it again to improve 20-30 points). MyTOEFL is 102.My grades are pretty average (translated to around 3.0 in USsystem). But I plan to apply all over US and Europe.

You will probably receive more responses if you start your own thread. That being said I have a few pieces of advice. First you don't need a specific research proposal before you go and talk to professors. It's more than enough for you to just simply state that you are a student interested in applying to PhD programs and are looking to offer some help on a research project to gain a deeper understanding of how the process works.

It is possible to help with research without being in person, but this is not particularly easy. Your best bet would be to email some of your former professors and start from there. If they remember you, they might be willing to help you out and give you some research experience. Email them immediately. Right this second. Then if they aren't willing to help you out, go to your local university and try to work with one of them. If you don't live near a local university, then email some professors at schools you are interested and ask if they can use some help. Honestly, I'm guessing that this won't be particularly helpful for you, and that you won't get a lot of responses, but if you only get one then that's all you need. The most important thing is to get out there and do it. Good luck!

Thank you very much, Xanthus. I figure I must show urgency. Can you recommend a book with basic research methodologies, something to kick start the preparation.

I'd now start a new thread to get few more responses. Thanks again for the valuable advice.