Urch Forums

2015 Marketing Interview/Admission/Rejection Results

lfollis

• Replies 434
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey! I have a couple of questions:

1. If I didn't received any interview requests that means I should give up on the possibility of being accepted?

2. My profile is GRE 1200(old format) I know its low but I address it on my SOP, took research and finance courses in my masters got A's, and also took statistical software modeling courses. B.A Marketing (South America) U.S GPA 3,83 (Academic excellence Scholarship) . Masters UT-Austin 3.6 GPA (International students honors society) . TOEFL Waived, Research as an undergrad certified by university. 1.5 years as a marketing analyst (research experience). Did consultancy and research projects in my masters. Strong recommendations. And my SOP's are well aligned with research interests of the professors from the Schools I am applying.

3.Applied marketing PhD programs: Rochester(rejected), NYU, GA Tech, Umass Amherst, Syracuse.

Thanks for your thoughts!

Someone posted in TGC that the Stanford acceptance post was a spam (she/he verified it with the admissions team apparently). People playing games :)

I really don't get the point of that. Unless it makes them feel better to see anonymous online people freak out. I saw that yesterday, but that post isn't there anymore. There's another entry I saw last night that isn't there anymore either. How do you remove TGC posts? Unless someone marked it as spam?

Here's a funny story - I decided to log onto a school that I'm about 99% sure I'm not getting into. There was a new tab listed "withdraw application". My first thought - are they trying to tell me something? Curiosity got the best of me, so I wanted to know what that was about. I saw that I have the option to withdraw my application to a program I applied to (and was accepted to but turned down to go to another program) many years ago. Good to know I can withdraw my application to a program several years later!

For list update, Rice and Houston moved already. have seen somewhere else.

Thanks!

In case people haven't seen it, here's the list in question:

Have moved:

-Arizona

-Arizona State

-Boston U

-UC Boulder

-Chicago

-Columbia

-Connecticut

-Cornell

-Duke

-ESSEC Paris

-Florida

-Florida State

-Grenoble

-Harvard

-HEC Paris

-HKUST

-Houston

-Illinois

-Indiana

-INSEAD

-Kentucky

-London Business School

-Massachusetts Amherst

-Maryland

-Memphis

-Miami

-Michigan

-Michigan State

-Minnesota

-Missouri

-MIT

-North Carolina

-Northwestern

-NYU

-Ohio State

-Oregon

-Penn

-Penn State

-Pitt

-Rice

-Rochester

-South Carolina

-Southern California

-Stanford

-Texas A&M

-Toronto

-UT Austin

-Virginia Tech

-Western

-Wilfred Laurier

-Wisconsin

-WUSTL

-Yale

Notable schools that haven't moved:

-Alberta

-UC Berkeley

-Bocconi

-U British Columbia

-Cambridge

-Carnegie Mellon

-UC Davis

-Emory

-Erasmus

-Georgetown

-Georgia

-Georgia State

-Georgia Tech

-Iowa

-UC Irvine

-UC Los Angeles

-McGill

-Purdue

-UC San Diego

-Temple

-Tilburg

-Utah

-Warwick

-Washington

-York

EDIT: "Notable" in this case is just other schools that are top 100 or so in rankings, so some medium-sized names might be missing.

Edited by lfollis

Got an interview form Virginia Tech. Not sure how does this school rank in CB track. Anyone has an idea? BTW, I think HKUST has almost done with their interviews. One of my friends got into their waitinglist after the interview.

I personally think that VT is a good school. They're not as well known as other programs, but they have some really solid researchers there. You'll get a great education there, if you can stand living in the middle of nowhere for 5 years. They are one of those schools that no one has heard of, but are extremely solid in my opinion.

Is it online or face-to-face? I have only had online interviews and they lasted from 30 minutes to an hour, with the majority between 40-45 minutes. There were 2 interviews that lasted only 15 minutes and both of them eventually asked for second-round interviewing. I am not a veteran but, if your interviewer said that it's gonna be 15 minutes, I'd assume that it's a first-round interview (and strategize accordingly).

XanthusARES interviewed in pre-WW2 era, don't trust him. Lol J/k. Anyway, I am applying to a few schools in the U.S. and a few in Europe. Most of my target schools are outside of the top 15 so my sample can be quite different from him. Different data points, different conclusions, I guess. Hope it still helps.

XanthusARES interviewed in pre-WW2 era, don't trust him. Lol J/k. Anyway, I am applying to a few schools in the U.S. and a few in Europe. Most of my target schools are outside of the top 15 so my sample can be quite different from him. Different data points, different conclusions, I guess. Hope it still helps.

All my future adviser needed was one look at this glorious beard and I was accepted nearly immediately.

Seriously, though, I think that my interview was more of a sanity and fit check. They just wanted to make sure I would fit in and that the things I said in my application were true. Some people need a lot of time to do that, others don't. I guess they were hedging their bets on me.

Is it online or face-to-face? I have only had online interviews and they lasted from 30 minutes to an hour, with the majority between 40-45 minutes. There were 2 interviews that lasted only 15 minutes and both of them eventually asked for second-round interviewing. I am not a veteran but, if your interviewer said that it's gonna be 15 minutes, I'd assume that it's a first-round interview (and strategize accordingly).

Thanks for your sharing. I feel more agree with you. my first interview with INSEAD only last for 15 to 20 min and I know that they had a four round interview last year(freaked out!!). But i think I should also prepare as it would last for 40 minutes. What do you mean by "strategize accordingly", i don't really get it.

Good News - a Kellogg admit just got posted on TGC! [clap]

Bad News - they "forgot" to ask me for an interview. :sorrow: Just an oversight, right? Can I request a refund of my application fee yet? :dejected:

Yeah NYU, Columbia and Northwestern seem to have forgotten my interview invitations as well. Also I'm still trying to figure out what went down with Wharton and this whole rejection email mishap. Oversights are all over the place this year ;-)

Edited by Tryingfor2015
winky faces are hard to make

Yeah NYU, Columbia and Northwestern seem to have forgotten my interview invitations as well. Also I'm still trying to figure out what went down with Wharton and this whole rejection email mishap. Oversights are all over the place this year ;-)

Looks like you're already mentally ready for executing plan B. Atleast, I am :)