Urch Forums

Flaming Confusion

bonaire

Hello!

I got a note from a mod saying this post was considered "Flaming."

Though "flaming" isn't explicitly forbidden in the forum rules (maybe it should?), I did find a post where the same mod said flagging posts for "flaming" was under their discretion. No issue here with that policy.

I'm confused as to how my post "flamed" considering the guidance provided for what is/isn't tolerated. I called the poster out for logical fallacies and misrepresenting claims. Is that viewed as a character attack...?

Here's the notice:

The rule your post appears to have broken: Flaming

More information:

Disagreeing with others and mocking and downright humiliating the content of their comments is perfectly fine. However, personal (related to a person's character) insults are against forum rules.

Thanks!

Edit: It now appears that the post has been deleted for "offensive language." Where did I use "offensive language?"

Edited by bonaire

• 3 weeks later...

I just scanned the writing in question. Yes, it's a bit over the edge, IMO. In the writing I see, the OP is called 'hopeless' and is told he has a chip on his shoulder. Something in the post was called 'pretentious'.

So that's enough for me. I know the moderator tm_member pretty well, and he and I agree on the tone we're looking for in the forums, so I respect his judgment (and agree with him in this case).

I realize this sort of exchange occurs regularly online elsewhere, but I just don't like it or want it here.

Thanks for the insight. I like the forums and feel lucky to have stumbled across the community. With that, I appreciate all that you do.

Re: thread, I was confused as another commenter -- who's obviously a prolific poster -- used equivalent language, but wasn't admonished from what I could tell. Since then, I've gotten a better feel for the forum culture. All good.

edit: grammar

Edited by bonaire