Urch Forums

Profile Evaluation 2016

zjdo123

[h=2][/h]

Hi, please evaluate my chances for MA and PhD programs. I know my profile is far from enough for Top 20 and willing to go to a master program (as a stepping stone to T20 U.S. PhD) or to a Top 50 program directly.

I am an international student who came to U.S. since high school. Then I went to a community college before transferred to my current university.

Now I'm rising senior at a public University. The U is ranked overall top 70 in US NEWS (though I think this is ridiculous), and top 15 in Economics.

Though the department is decent, but as an undergraduate, it is hard for me to get in touch with professors,

since all the classes are taught by current graduate students except for the senior electives, which have strict policy for non-seniors to enroll.

The research opportunity is only given to students in university honors program through UROP in the summer and it is very difficult for a transfer student (like me) to enter the program.

So basically I have no connections to any professors in the department so far, which means no letters from Econ professor for me at present.

But I will try my best to see if I could obtain a letter from the professor next semester (who should be well known in Macro theory)

Type of Undergrad: Bachelors in Science, Top 70 Public U Top 15 in Economics

Undergrad GPA: 3.5, 3.62 in Economics (3.8 since sophomore) and 3.3 in Mathematics
GRE: V152+Q165, will retake in September

Math Courses: Calculus I-III (B,B,A); Linear Algebra and Differential Equations (B+); Intro to Analysis/Proofs (A-); Applied Linear Algebra (B+); Master level Financial Mathematics (C+);

Master level Honors Analysis I-II (at baby Rudin's level) (B-,B-); Master level Theory of Statistics (A,A-); Introduction to Stochastic Process (A); Grad Probability and Measure Theory (Using Durrett's text) (this fall)

Retaking Honors Analysis I this fall

Econ Courses: Principles of Micro (B); Principles of Macro (B); Int. Micro (A), Int. Macro (A), Financial Economics (A); Economic Development (A-), Money and Banking (B+);

Advanced Quantitative Analysis of the Macroeconomy (the calibration of growth model and some basic real business cycle theory stuff) (this fall); Econometrics (using Greene's Text) (this fall)

Letters of Recommendation: One from my statistical theory professor, One from an senior researcher in IMF (has some connections), Still not sure about the third one

Research Experience: None

Teaching Experience: None

Research Interests: Econometrics, Macro Theory, Monetary Theory

SOP: Generic, will relate to interests in Economics

Other: My first concern is my math grades, especially the low grades in honors analysis sequence. I have studied baby rudin (solved many problems in the book) during the summer and I believe I will get a decent grade this time.

The C+ in financial math is totally due to insufficient preparations in math. Haven't learned much probability theory at that time and no prior knowledge of stochastic process definitely killed me in

the second half of the course which discussed about Black-Scholes model and stochastic pde stuff.

My other concern is no grad econ courses under my belt ( not allowed to take as a undergrad) and lack of decent letters.

I plan to apply to some Top 20-50 (WUSTL, BU and etc) and a few master programs (DUKE, WISC, LSE, UT-AUSTIN, UBC, U TORONTO, CEMFI, TUFTS and etc)

Do you guys think the list above is a reasonable one? Please give any advises as I really can't evaluate myself. Thank you!

I'll assume your university has significant grade deflation, because otherwise it's hard to explain how someone with B's in calculus can go all the way to take multiple grad math courses in two years.

This profile is not too bad for #20-#50. The sheer amount of advanced coursework helps alleviate concerns over those grades. I don't think a master's will help you significantly. You already have enough coursework at the master's level, and taking more will be a sub-optimal use of time. Your biggest problem is the lack of LORs. You should possibly look for full time research positions that are open to internationals. Others can may be chime in on this.

You should also confirm if you really aren't allowed to take grad econ courses. They will help a lot. I was told by one undergrad advisor that I wouldn't be allowed to take grad courses at all, but I ended up taking something like 10 anyway. Some professors are open to it. If you've taken so much statistics already, there's no reason they can't let you in grad econometrics, or to sit in and write a short paper for a grad field course (e.g. labor/development) with some guidance from the faculty (you'll typically get to do this in second-year grad courses). This will be the most helpful thing for you in terms of LORs/admissions. Even if you don't do great, you'll be judged as an undergrad and they can possibly write you a solid letter, and it also shows your understanding and enthusiasm concerning what a PhD requires (research, not coursework).

Your university has a good econ department, you should really try to utilize it in some way. Don't spend too much time trying to score A's on measure theory and stuff like that, you get diminishing marginal returns very quickly after you've taken real analysis.

Agreed with the above. A masters doesn't seem like it would move the needle much for you since you've got so much mathematics and economics coursework as it is. Your biggest hurdle to #20-#50 is clearly the lack of research experience and letters. I second the notion that your time after undergrad would be best spent at a full-time RA job for a year or two. If you can take PhD courses at your current university (Minnesota?) as chateauheart suggested, then all the better.

First, thank you for you reply! I took cal 1 and cal 2 back in the community college and to be honest, I dont care much about study/grades at that time ( I guess now it pays..) and the master level course is open to both undergrads and graduate student (but most of them are restricted to master students). Only the honors courses and phd level courses need permission to enroll as a undergrad. For the full time research, I will definitely consider this option. I have not yet talked to any professors about the enrollment of the grad courses though, I think I will email them before the semester starts and see if it is possible. Thank you for all these great advises!!

Thank you for your advice! First, yes I'm a gopher! :excited: I will start to reach out to the professors to see if they would let me into the grad courses. I think I will primary focus on application right now and if things go south, I will definitely try to seek for full-time research after graduation. Again, thanks for your opinion!

I know a few people who were from Minnesota undergrad, you can definitely enroll in PhD econ courses there.

You should probably drop the measure theory course and load up on grad econ. Chances are you'll actually learn plenty of measure theory + probability in grad metrics and grad macro, since that's the Minnesota way.

From my experience as a gopher, people with better background barely got into top 40 last round. If you are applying this fall, it is already a little bit late to build up relationships with econ professors. Undergrads are allowed take grad Macro and there are big names teaching that class. But I don't know how good the letter could be if you only study with them for 7 weeks. But it is certainly helpful to have another econ letter. PM me if you want to talk more. Edited by purlea