Urch Forums

Hello everyone! Could you please grade my essay. Thank you in advance.

David84

Learning is primarily a matter of personal discipline; students cannot be motivated by school or college alone.

Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the statement and explain your reasoning for the position you take. In developing and supporting your position, you should consider ways in which the statement might or might not hold true and explain how these considerations shape your position.

Is it true that only students should responsible for their personal discipline, motivation and alacrity to learn? While it is true that students must try to develop and strengthen their personal discipline and try to make a great effort to motivate themselves, I don’t completely agree with the idea that they must be solely responsible for that. I believe that educational institutions must also play a central role in motivating and inspiring the students. This essay attempts to provide the evidence in which both the students, as well as educational institutions must make an effort.

First of all, it is true that the students must be responsible in trying to motivate themselves and making an effort to learn. After all, nobody will be able to help you to learn or do anything, if you are unwilling to learn and cooperate. Students must try to develop a sense of personal discipline (being in time for a class, taking notes and submitting assignments on time, etc). It is without a doubt that in order to learn students must be willing to learn.

Second, students must make an effort in finding the right area to study. By the right area to study I mean the area, which the students is passionate about. Finding the right major and involving in classes that suits your interests can provide you with great motivation to learn and excel in that specific area.

Nevertheless, educational institutions such as schools, colleges and universities should be also responsible in motivating their students to learn. If primary educational institutions are not interested in motivating their students who else would be? Educational institutions must help students find the right path by providing counselling, helping students discover their areas of interests and develop their creativity and critical thinking. Providing students with interactive and motivational classes and lectures can help inspire students. For example, inviting famous founder of the company like Steve Jobs to give a speech to the university students can greatly motivate the students to learn and make challenges.

In conclusion, I support the idea that even if the students must be primarily responsible for their self motivation to learn, educational institutions must also try to make a great effort in motivating and inspiring their students to learn.