Urch Forums

Profile Evaluation: Math Major, need advice!

hopefuleconomis

PROFILE:

Type of Undergrad: Mathematics – Systems Analysis Option with a minor in Earth Systems (emphasis on mathematical modeling)

Undergrad GPA: 3.22 (although my major GPA is higher)

GRE: 160 Q 153 V 4.0 W (I am retaking them in a month hoping to significantly increase the scores)

Math Courses: Cal I/II (A, B), Calc and Vector Analysis (B), Ordinary and Partial Diff Eq (A-), Diff Eq II (A-), Matrices ©, Combinatorics (B-), Concepts of Discrete Math (B+), Real Analysis (B), Probability Theory (B), Mathematical Statistics ©, Numerical Computations (B-), Linear Programming (B), Linear Algebra (A-)

Econ Courses: Intro to Economics (A), Macro (hopefully A), Micro (hopefully A)

Other Courses: some computer science courses, a bunch of physics courses and a large variety of different science courses related to the earth

Letters of Recommendation: (1) Math Professor (2) An employer who works as a analyst for the government (3) Economics professor

Research Experience: nothing really related to economics besides in class labs

Teaching Experience: Math tutor

Research Interests: I am not exactly sure what type of research I want to do yet. I am strongly considering applying to agricultural economics programs, as I think my past earth systems studies will be more beneficial in this field. I am hoping once I begin my macro and micro courses (which is next week) that I will be able to start narrowing in on the type of research that I really like, I know I still have a lot to learn! I would really appreciate any research topics you can suggest that may interest me or that I may be qualified to pursue

Concerns: I know my background is not exactly ideal for an economics applicant, but my last semester of school I took a class on earth modeling that incorporated a ton of economics into the course; this was my first exposure to the field of economics and I absolutely loved it. Since graduating, I have taken an intro to economics course at a small local college and am in the process of taking macro and micro this fall. I am extremely interested in pursing a PhD program (or at first masters) in potentially applied economics, but I am worried that my lack of economic/business background will not be sufficient. This field is extremely interesting to me and I really hope to continue in it, so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Other: White female

Applying to: Need advice please!!! Honestly not really sure if I am a competitive candidate or not.

This is all still relatively new to me so I would really appreciate any help, Thank you!!

On the surface, you don't look competitive for most PhD programs. Your GRE quant is too low and your math grades are iffy--you overall GPA is also quite low. I suspect you don't really know what an econ PhD is set up to do. That's not criticism--there might be related fields that would be just as interesting to you that you should explore as well. Invest in more information before committing 5+ years.

Main advice: Go talk to the econ professor who is going to write you a letter of recommendation. You and s/he know you a lot better than any of us do. Talk especially about how to play off your strengths that don't show in the brief statement you've given us.

I would agree with just about everything startz has said. You did not mention, however, which sort of university you're coming from. This could make a minor difference. Economics PhD programs, and even applied programs, may be a lot more competitive and rigorous than you imagine. As of right now, I can't see you getting a funded offer from really anywhere in pure economics. Perhaps in the applied space you might have some luck if you really up your GRE quant score, obtain letters of recommendation from economists, and get some research experience that indicates you know what graduate-level economics is about.

If you are interested in applied work having to do with environmental/earth sciences, there are plenty of terminal MAs in Economics which could be accessible to you and which lead to interesting policy or consulting careers in this space if you're so inclined.

Edited by thagzone