Urch Forums

GRE vs GMAT for MBA

Pushingforward

Hi guys,

I just had a question regarding the relative merits of GRE vs GMAT.

I know plenty of business schools are now accepting the GRE now in addition to the GMAT.

I have already sat the GRE with scores of 167Q, 164V and 5.5AWA. (That equates to 94%, 94% and 98% percentile respectively).

I'd really prefer not to bother with the GMAT and submit GRE scores instead.

The official policy by many business schools is that they are 'agnostic' in their choice of GMAT/GRE.

I just wanted your opinions on how true that is, and whether they really are treated equally?

Many thanks

PF

• 3 years later...

Should you take the GMAT or GRE for MBA admission? While the GMAT is designed specifically for business school applicants, the GRE is a test that can gain students admittance to graduate programs across almost all subjects, including the MBA.

With 'management' forming part of its acronym, you might expect the GMAT to hold some sway over its GRE counterpart, if MBA admissions and related business master’s programs are the main goal. The test does place a heavier focus on quantitative and analytical skills - interpreting data presented in text, charts and tables to solve complex problems, for example. Tasks are therefore customized to evaluate skills seen as being specific to business managers.

The GRE, as a more versatile test, has less of a focus of math and includes a calculator for its quantitative problems. However, for those for whom English is not their first language, the verbal section may be more challenging than the GMAT's, as it places an emphasis on vocabulary rather than on grammar.

The GMAT is a computer-adaptive test - this means that the questions you answer correctly, or incorrectly, determine the difficulty level of the questions that follow. During the GMAT, students can't go back and review their previous answers. The GRE, meanwhile, is not a computer-adaptive test and allows students to check their previous answers.

Ultimately, the GRE and GMAT have more in common than they have differences. To succeed at either, you'll need mastery of essential math—algebra, arithmetic, geometry, data analysis—as well as reading and critical reasoning skills and efficient test-taking strategies.