Urch Forums

Math req's for European Masters vs. US PhD

eirikkss

Hi!

I am starting to realize that my best path is to go the "european masters as a stepping-stone" route.

How is the difference in admissions between say Barcelona GSE/CEMFI/LSE/Bocconi vs. say a top 20 US PhD program in terms of math? Do the mentioned masters programs require real analysis for instance? Or is it sufficient if I have full Calc sequence + Lin Alg? I am an econ major btw, so I have most of the econs + stat courses.

Edited by eirikkss
I meant full calc sequence, not calc 1-2

Oh ok my bad, only speed-read through your prep, my bad! so you got full calc + lin algebra then? What does full calc. entail exactly? Im asking because most of the time in Europe econ programmes do some maths, but it s rarely so well-defined and well-divided like Calc 1, Calc 2, etc.

However in general with a solid calculus preparation and linear algebra you should be good for most macro/metrics oriented programmes. Micro-based ones might be keen on seeing some topology or previous proof-based micro courses.

Oh ok my bad, only speed-read through your prep, my bad! so you got full calc + lin algebra then? What does full calc. entail exactly? Im asking because most of the time in Europe econ programmes do some maths, but it s rarely so well-defined and well-divided like Calc 1, Calc 2, etc.

However in general with a solid calculus preparation and linear algebra you should be good for most macro/metrics oriented programmes. Micro-based ones might be keen on seeing some topology or previous proof-based micro courses.

That's a good point. My calc courses are labeled math for econ etc. I just signed up for an econometrics class this summer, so I can free up space this fall to take Real Analysis. Hopefully that will increase my chances. CEMFI is my nr. 1 choice - which it's less macro-focused I think. Real A is probably a good idea either way.

What was your mathematics backgound? Since you got accepted at BGSE.

You can get into these programs with very light math prep that will not get you admitted into a top 40 program in the US. However, to do well in these programs, you will be better off having more math. For instance, in Bocconi's ESS your first semester would have this course: Course - Universita' Bocconi

It would be an overkill with a very light math background.

Hi!

I am starting to realize that my best path is to go the "european masters as a stepping-stone" route.

How is the difference in admissions between say Barcelona GSE/CEMFI/LSE/Bocconi vs. say a top 20 US PhD program in terms of math? Do the mentioned masters programs require real analysis for instance? Or is it sufficient if I have full Calc sequence + Lin Alg? I am an econ major btw, so I have most of the econs + stat courses.

is your calculus sequence proof-based? If yes, then do highlight it in your applications.