Urch Forums

Manhattan 5 lb_ Sentence Completion Questions and Synonym Questions (total of 4)

Hi all,

I am new to using Urch, but I heard its great resource for getting help on GRE questions.

I would really appreciate it if someone can walk me through the following four questions.

1) It is his dubious distinction to have proved what nobody would think of denying, that Romero at the age of sixty-four writes with all the characteristics of ____. (choose a pair of synonym that goes into the blank space)

a) maturity

b) fiction

c) inventiveness

d) art

e) brilliance

Note: I get that keywords = "dubious distinction", but I don't get how that relates to the rest of the sentence and how that relationship is going to get me the right answers.

2) The (i)___ nature of classical tragedy in Athens belies the modern image of tragedy: in the modern view tragedy is austere and striped down, its representations of ideological and emotional conflicts so superbly compressed that there's nothing (ii) ___ for time to erode.

Blank (i)

a) unadorned

b) harmonious

c) multifaceted

Blank (ii)

d) alienable

e) exigent

f) extraneous

3) Dramatic literature often ___ the history of a culture in that it takes as its subject matter the important events that have shaped and guided the culture. (choose a pair of synonym that goes into the blank space)

a) confounds

b) repudiates

c) recapitulates

d) anticipates

e) polarizes

4) Early critics of Emily Dickinson's poetry mistook for simple-mindedness the surface of artlessness that in fact she constructed with such ___.

a) astonishment

b) craft)

c) cunning

d) innocence

e) naivete

f) vexation

Edited by justadude0144
needed to elaborate