Urch Forums

GRE & Application Deadlines

Bizz

Hello,

I just took the GRE today. My unofficial scores are 161V and 152Q. I am aiming primarily for T30-50 programs in micro OB, including Cornell, Temple, and Pitt. My GPA is a 3.75.

Is it likely that I will be desk-rejected based on my GRE scores? I had a situation in September where someone close to me relapsed in cancer. I ended up having to move very unexpectedly as a result, all of which affected my ability to adequately prepare (that individual has since sought treatment and fingers crossed, all will be okay). I don't plan to write a supplementary statement about this or otherwise mention it in my SOP, unless it is suggested.

I plan to retake the GRE in late November. Most of my application deadlines are in January, but a few are December 1-15. I sent today's scores to the programs with December deadlines, since I know the test in November will be too late. However, if I do significantly better on the second test, and I submit the new scores to the schools with December deadlines, is it likely they'll be considered? That is assuming the new scores are received before adcoms review my application. The only problem I can think of is that my application will state today's scores, although they'd have both score reports.

A little more about my profile:

- Psychology major (BA), no graduate degree.

- 1 year of research experience including a publication, awarded a research stipend for some of this time

- 1 year independent honors thesis

- My research experiences and thesis are related to what I plan to pursue in grad school

- Very strong SOP and writing sample (thesis) with strong match for research interests at the programs I'm applying to

- 5 years of relevant work experience

Thanks for your feedback!

The short answer is that it might. As tutonic (sweet name by the way) said generally first round cuts are done by the graduate school based on specified cut-offs. The Q score will most likely not make the cut at most places. That being said, if you retake it in late November, there is a good chance that they'll be able to get your new scores before sending it to the specific department (which generally happens around Christmas). So I wouldn't worry too much, just put your head down and bust out a great score. As for any schools with a December 15th or later deadline, I'd say you'll be fine. They'll have your new scores before anything is reviewed.

• 3 weeks later...
I took the GRE again today and scored a 159V and 155Q (*sigh* for the lower verbal this time). Which score should I report for an OB program? Should I sacrifice the higher verbal for a higher quant? I am sure my AWA will be higher for today's score as well, if that matters.

I don't believe the cut-off is quite at 160Q for the programs I'm applying to (the ones I listed are just the top of my list, so I realize they'll have higher cut-offs). For those with published admitted student profiles, some are averaging 160Q (meaning some scored lower), and for OB, the consensus seems to be that the verbal score is more important (usually averaging above 162). That's why I was concerned about my verbal score dropping a bit.

I guess I'm just hoping for feedback from someone in OB, although I'm not sure there are any admitted students here in that field. I realize you're applying to masters programs in economics, which focus more on quant, so I'm not too quick to generalize feedback (although I do appreciate your insights and understand many top programs publish data with 160+ scores regardless of field). I do know people who got into OB programs ranked higher than Cornell with sub 160Q but much higher verbal scores, which is why I'm unsure of the tradeoff. I'm not saying it is common, but that's why Cornell is a reach and is only being used as an example. I am also applying to I/O psych programs, and they have much lower GRE averages, so that offers some relief at least.

Yeah unfortunately we don't have a lot of OB participants on here (reminder for when you get in). If you know people who have done fine with a sub 160 Q score, and there is nothing striking about their applications (i.e. have multiple research papers with well known faculty) you may be fine. Seriously, you'd probably know better than most of us since it isn't our area. Good luck!

Yeah unfortunately we don't have a lot of OB participants on here (reminder for when you get in). If you know people who have done fine with a sub 160 Q score, and there is nothing striking about their applications (i.e. have multiple research papers with well known faculty) you may be fine. Seriously, you'd probably know better than most of us since it isn't our area. Good luck!

Haha yes, if I end up admitted to an OB program I will try to hang around. I realize even if I end up in an I/O psych program I could still end up working in an OB program after my PhD, so I guess I'll give it my best shot and see where the cards fall.