Urch Forums

Masters/Phd profile evaluation and school suggestions for fall 2017

badmathguy

Hello all. Been reading the forum for quite some time and finally decided for sure I plan on pursuing graduate studies. As you will see I have a pretty week profile but I would appreciate all input. I started college and had a 2.2 GPA freshman year and then took 2 years off before finally going back to school. I have had a 3.6 GPA since freshman year which is not as high as I would like but it is what it is. Got a very late start to math and statistics classes so I have basically crammed everything into my junior and senior years. Clearly I'm fairly behind my peers due to a number of factors that you don't care to hear. I am thinking of applying to a few masters as well as a few PhDs. Will even consider Agriculture, Applied, Environmental, or Resource economics masters programs since it appears they have some funding for masters students? Would even consider a business PhD focusing on Econ. Please let me know what you guys think about my profile and if I have any hope for a PhD or possibly a funded masters admit. If possible please suggest some masters or PhD programs you think I could have a shot at. Thanks for taking the time to read.

Type of Undergrad: Bachelors in economics, minor in mathematics, from top 200 US News state school in the Midwest

Undergrad GPA: Cumulative 3.2, GPA after freshman year has been 3.6.

GRE: Must take

Math Courses: Calc I,II,III (B,B,B), Intro to statistics (A), Basic linear algebra (B), Intro to differential equations (B), Intro to abstract math (Withdraw, taking again now and expect B or A), Probability (taking now and expect an A), Intermediate linear algebra (Spring 2017), Metric space topology (Spring 2017), Statistics (Spring 2017).

Econ Courses (undergrad-level): Principles micro/macro (C,B), Intermediate micro (B), Intermediate macro (A), Money and banking (A), Labor econ (A), Econometrics (B), History of economic thought (A), Principles of real estate (A), Economic Development (taking now, expect A), Monetary theory and policy (taking now, expect A)

Other Courses: Several political science classes, all A's

Letters of Recommendation: Two from econ professors, they should speak highly of me but they wont blow anyone away since I'm clearly not the best PhD candidate out there, still searching for a third, possibly one of my math professors which I would imagine would be quite average.

Research Experience: None

Teaching Experience: None

Research Interests: I have enjoyed every field course I have taken but macro and monetary theory would be my favorites

SOP: Hopefully it can be average or better

Concerns: Very low GPA my freshman year which has held my cumulative GPA down quite a bit. Still not a great GPA since freshman year but it has improved substantially nonetheless. Very late start to the math part so it has lead to cramming virtually all math into junior and senior years. No real analysis is probably not ideal but I couldn't fit in. Even later start to the Statistics classes as I am only taking probability and statistics my senior year. Overall I have a pretty weak profile due to a very poor start to college and a very late start to math and stats classes.

Other: N/a

Applying to: Honestly have no clue where I would even be competitive. Please help. Masters or PhD suggestions.

On a final note, is it possible to do an Agriculture/Applied/Enviroment/Resource masters program and then get into a regular Econ PhD program?

Edited by badmathguy
misspelling

Have you considered Public policy PhD's? Attending a low ranked phd won't lead to a good experience in the job market later. You'll have a better chance of getting in to a PP PhD (i.e. a higher ranked institution vis a vis econ). Master's programs is also a possibility - but make sure they send students to Phd programs (not "applied" masters".

• 3 weeks later...