Urch Forums

Profile Evaluation

antortoise

Hi guys:

I am Antony, applying for 2017 fall phd right now. Thanks for any help!

Type of undergraduate: Top 25 university in USA, econ rank may be 40+ something.

Graduate: I am enrolled in a program which allows me to earn MA as well as my BA, so I am a grad student too.

GRE: 158+170+AW unknown, i just took it weeks ago

Math courses: A or A- in calculus, differential equations, linear algebra, B/B- in real analysis, B+ in probability

Econ courses: all A in econ courses except international trade(B)

Grad Course: A in a phd second year Game Theory class, A in other graduate level classes, except a B+ in macro theory

Research Experience: doing a directed research in auction theory and bayesian persuasion right now

SOP: standard

Recommendation:

(1) from my professor in Game Theory class, also instructor of my directed research

(2) a professor whom I am working as a grader for, I got an A+ in his class so he gave the chance to work for him

this professor only writes for 6 schools, so I find another :

(3) professor who teaches me econometrics right now, and I am earning an A in that class

(4) instructor for graduate level micro, I am the best student in his class.

Writing Sample: a health econ related paper, using method PSM-DID

Interest: Micro theory, Mechanism design

Applying to: UCB,UCLA,UCSD,stanford, yale, princeton,mit, caltech, duke, brown, cornell, northwestern, Upenn, Columbia, NYU, Rochester

concerns:

(1) Low score in math courses, I am not good at math

(2) Low score in graduate macro, which instructor ruined my interest of learning so I kinda gave up.

(3) Recommenders except the first one, do not promise me to write a strong recommendation letter.(in other words, their reference would be objective)

Really appreciate any comments!:distracted:

If you're not good at math you should stay away from theory. I think departments will be worried if you write that you intend to do theoretical work without sufficient preparation and motivation. Most theorists take measure theory as well. Your research experience might also insufficient for top 10.

I agree ^

I didn't mean to put you down OP. Just know that empirical and theoretical work is very different. You could of course learn a lot of the math yourself after you've been admitted if you still want to do theory.

I was just trying to give you a picture of the competitiveness of T10-15

Is that because my bad math background, or lack of research experience? Thanks!

Both, but more so your lack of research experience. Your math background matters more if you are intent on pitching yourself as a theory student. I don't mean you shouldn't try T10-T15, but if you aren't financially constrained, you really should put out some more applications in the 20-40 region.