Urch Forums

Profile Evaluation

flopson

Type of Undergrad: Econ Math double major at Canadian School

Undergrad GPA: 3.0

Type of Grad: MA Econ at "top 3" Canadian school

Grad GPA: 4.1

RESEARCH EXPERIENCE

RA'd in undergrad for a young macroeconomist. RA'd for my MA thesis supervisor. Worked very hands-on quantitative job in industry.

TEACHING EXPERIENCE

TA during MA, tutoring during Undergrad.

LETTER OF RECOMMENDATION

Prof I RA'd for in Undergrad (should be decent, worked for him for about a year)

MA supervisor (whom I also RA'd for). Old guy who is very well-known and well-connected. We got a long very well and he will write me a very strong letter.

Then a prof who I took a Research Methods course with during MA (got A+ and we got a long well).

CONCERNS

Undergrad GPA is the main one.

I also bombed GRE and don't have time or will to re-take, so only applying to Canadian PhDs as I am Canadian and therefore don't need to submit GRE.

APPLYING TO

UBC, UofT, Queen's, McGill

I am confident about my chances at the latter two but how much of a reach are the first two, in your opinion?

Your last statement reveals where you are from. A 4.1 from your masters program and strong letters + you are Canadian or Permanent Resident, will make your entrance into UBC or U of T somewhat likely.

Edit: PR automatically changes to Princeton Review .. so I edited it to Permanent Resident

Thanks, Zubs.

Bumping to solicit more opinions, and also to add a couple data points and ask a further question.

-The UG 3.0 masks some disastrous grades in math and econ courses (lots of B-, one F in a Linear Algebra summer course...) but also a decent streak in Real Analysis (I took four semesters, got A-, A, B+, A) as well as a grad-level Topology class (B+).

- I had a bad experience writing the GRE, and as a result settled on only applying to Canadian schools this time around. However, do you think, given a mixed math background, writing it one more time to try to crack a great quant score, would be worth it, for the extra math signal?

Thanks