Urch Forums

Input Requested

WhiteLake

I am in the process of applying for PhD programs in economics as well as a few in public policy. I attended a city university in New York, was part of an honors program, and did a double major in econ and political science. I excelled in econ classes (intro and intermediate micro, macro) as well as econ electives and did well in math courses (econometrics, calc 1 and 2, mathematics for economists). I worked as a research assistant at at well known budget policy think tank and currently work in economic consulting. GRE scores are 760Q and 610V with 5.5 writing. Recommendations are good, from phd professors.

My questions(s): How competitive am I at econ programs? I figure I am not in the running at the top ten. Any idea? Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Type of Undergrad: Top Public University in US (New York CUNY system), Econ major, Poli Sci major, honors program

Undergrad GPA: 3.7/4.00 ( 3.7 Econ, 3.6 Math)

Type of Grad: none

Grad GPA: n/a

GRE: Q 160, V 160, AWA 5.5

Math Courses:

Calc I (B+), Calc II (A+), Econ Statistics (A-), Econometrics (A+), Math for Economists (B)

Econ Courses:

Intro Micro, Intro Macro, Intermediate Micro, Intermediate Macro, Law and Econ, Money and Banking, Labor Market Econ, Econ Statistics, Urban Econ, Honors Thesis Project, Math for Economists

Other Courses:

Letters of Recommendation: two undergraduate professors, think tank director

Research Experience:

Undergraduate Honors Thesis, graduated with high honors, RA for undergrad professor postgrad on MacArthur grant, RA at budget policy think tank for two years, economic consulting

Teaching Experience:

Research Interests: behavioral econ, public finance, public policy, econometrics

SOP: in progress

Concerns:

Low Math GRE, Math coursework

Do you think it's possible to take more math classes and then apply next year? (ex. take classes while working, pursue a Master's degree first, etc)

How about applying for full time RA jobs? Many positions will allow you to take classes while working as research assistants. However, since a lot of math courses need to be taken at the current state, I think it'll be helpful if you were a full-time student and focused a lot on coursework (through a Master's program)

How are the letter writers? Will they be strong letters, and are they reputed economists? If your letters are strong and the only think you're lacking is coursework, you would greatly benefit by pursuing a Master's (assuming that you get good grades, of course).

oh right, I forgot about that.

In that case, maybe you can consider working as a RA at the think tank for an additional year to take more math classes, particularly Calc III, Linear Algebra, mathematical statistics/probability, and real analysis. A Masters would be an ideal way to build up coursework in my opinion, but there are more experienced posters in this forum who may not necessarily agree with me.

You haven't mentioned what ranking of school you are aiming at, so it's a bit difficult to offer advice. You may be able to get into an unranked PhD program with your current profile. However, if your goal is to be accepted into a top 50 school then you'll certainly need Calc 3, Linear Algebra and a semester of mathematical statistics (really introductory probability theory). Real Analysis is very helpful, but probably not as crucial as the other three if you're okay with a school ranked right around 50. If you want to aim any higher you'll need Analysis too. You'll also want to improve your quant GRE score a bit which should be doable through practice.

The RA experience is definitely helpful, but it can't substitute for formal mathematics training. The real issue is that you won't make it in the first year PhD courses if you don't have these classes, I promise we're not just trying to crush your spirit! With that said, it shouldn't take too long to get these classes done. You could conceivably take Calc 3 and Linear Algebra this spring, and then take Prob/Stats and Real Analysis in the fall and have those grades in time to send with applications next year. I believe you'll need Calc 3 as a prerequisite for both Prob/Stats and Analysis. In no way should this be an insurmountable obstacle if an econ PhD is what you really want to do.

If you are set against taking these additional classes, you might consider public policy PhD programs, given your research interests. I believe the math requirements are somewhat less stringent (excluding top programs which tend to require just as much math and econ departments). You could still pursue public finance research through such a degree.

Best of luck.