Urch Forums

2018 Ph.D. Business Administration Sweat Thread

tm_associate

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Puffy Thanks! Purdue had phone call interview yesterday . The prof asked nothing. Just tell me the strength of the program and give some possitive comments on my application.

In my case, I see that if the interview was short , had very few questions and the prof tried to keep me interested in the program,. The chance of getting offer would be high and the the decision is quick.

If many questions were asked, the school would be reluctant between many applicants, ending on the wait list.

Anyone hear from Houston? UT Dallas PhD Marketing? This year the process seems very slow

I had a phone call with Houston last Saturday (2/17). I was informed that they will not have very many, if any, openings for CB students this year :(, and that the focus was going to be primarily on Strategy and Quant. The prof was calling as more of an individual, so that she could identify applicants to pitch to the committee should they have CB openings.

Got an e-mail for interview from Uni of Maryland Smith Finance PhD. Any ideas about the content of the interview? haven't been in a PhD interview before.

Congrats. The Finance PhD interviews I've done so far, they only really ask about research experience and interests, so you really have to nail that question. I've always felt that it helps to namedrop professors you'd be interested in working with, shows you've done your homework. I've never been asked the standard 'Why do a PhD' question.

Anyone feeling pressure to commit from schools? I got an offer pretty early and it’s my only one. They are really pressuring me to give them a final answer and I don’t know what to do. I haven’t heard from 3 programs all reaches but still I hate committing before even waiting to hear back. I understand they don’t want to over or under extend offers but what if I say yes today and get an interview next week?

Anyone feeling pressure to commit from schools? I got an offer pretty early and it’s my only one. They are really pressuring me to give them a final answer and I don’t know what to do. I haven’t heard from 3 programs all reaches but still I hate committing before even waiting to hear back. I understand they don’t want to over or under extend offers but what if I say yes today and get an interview next week?

Call the schools you haven't heard from. Explain that you have an offer and would like to take it, but you want to know all of your options.

I thought by law offer holders have until April 15 to decide. There is nothing schools can do about that no matter how much they pressure?

There is no law, just an agreement by the Council of Graduate Schools and their member institutions. Most PhD granting institutions in the US are members but a few are not and are therefore not bound by the agreement. Also, the agreement specifically states that it only applies to funding but not admissions, so schools are not bound to the agreement for unfunded admits and to my understanding the same applies to admits that have been approved for admission but whose funding has not yet been approved even if they are expected to get approved for funding.

Has anyone heard from University of Washington or UGA, Marketing (Quant)? I had an interview with UGA a month ago, haven't heard back, but I haven't seen any posts here or on grad cafe regarding offers. Similarly with UWA, I haven't seen anything that indicates the department has even sent out interviews.

Does anybody know about UCSD Rady Quant marketing program? I have a friend applying there but I gotta admit I didn't know they had a phd in marketing until she told me. There's nothing on gradcafe either even for past years information is really scarce. Any info about their process and how competitive it is? Anyone applying there?

I can’t tell you much about their quant program, I applied to CB. The school already held fly-out interviews, and has been sending out offers this week.

The reason there’s not much on gradcafe for past years is that it’s a relatively new program, and very small. I think it started about 8 years ago - their first student graduated in 2015 - and didn’t have students in each cohort.

I can’t tell you much about their quant program, I applied to CB. The school already held fly-out interviews, and has been sending out offers this week.

The reason there’s not much on gradcafe for past years is that it’s a relatively new program, and very small. I think it started about 8 years ago - their first student graduated in 2015 - and didn’t have students in each cohort.

Nice to hear news about the program. Do you know if the flyouts were also for quant candidates?

Hi ,

I have a 720 GMAT (Q50 V37 AWA5 IR7) +TOEFL -115. I was a Class topper/ gold medalist in my UG/Masters (Asia) . I am 39 and have 8 years exp in Media and 7 years in Marketing data analytics. (2 yrs in NYC) . I thought my profile was at least good enough to get some interviews. But have only big silence till now. Are all processes over ? What would be a safe school for this profile. ? It is stressful. All comments welcome . BTW - What is a good score for PhD?

Hi Raja. I understand your feelings. First, age doesn’t matter (I’m 33 now). Your UG profile is impressive. Your scores seem to pass all the cut off but I don’t see your research experience and letters of recommendation. To be honest, all interviews and acceptances I got for now are due to the great letters. The adcoms told me that they know all my Professors, that’s why they trust the letters and interview me. The third and very important factor is Programming skill. Do you code? If not, you got a disadvantage in the run. I hope you will get good information by early next week.

PS: I only know about PhD in Finance. My answer may not be correct for other fields, says Marketing, Accounting, ect. I got only 318 GRE (92% quant) and 104 Toefl, which are at the lower end of the cut off scores. But the adcom said to me that if you pass the cut off, nobody cares about test scores. I assume the cut off is 90 percentile in quantitative (GMAT/GRE) and 100 for Toefl.

Edited by pqhai

Hello, Raja.

It's hard to say what is a good score for PhD, but I'm pretty sure your scores are good enough. The problem shouldn't be the scores.

I agree with pqhai. Age is also not the problem, I'm older than you at 44 and my concentration is Quant Marketing. If I had to guess the problem, I'd also say research experience and letters of recommendation.

Another possibility is poor school selection. And I really doubt there is such a thing as a safe school for PhD. It's nearly impossible to say what school would be good for you, since you didn't provide some of the most important information. Like, you didn't even mention research, not even research interests. If that's the way you tried to sell your application to schools, then that's also a good explanation for having no interviews. It's not good to focus on things that are not that important (like your work experience) and ignore what matters the most (research). Choosing the right school is a lot of hard work, even if I had the information there is no way I could answer that for you.

But it's too early to say that processes are over.

Hi guys!

Has anyone heard back from U Maryland (Managerial Economics), Rice (Strategic management), Georgia Tech (Marketing - CB), U of Tennessee (Supply Chain)?

I had a Skype interview with Georgia Tech Marketing and a flyout interview earlier this week. Final decisions not made yet.

Hello, Raja.

It's hard to say what is a good score for PhD, but I'm pretty sure your scores are good enough. The problem shouldn't be the scores.

I agree with pqhai. Age is also not the problem, I'm older than you at 44 and my concentration is Quant Marketing. If I had to guess the problem, I'd also say research experience and letters of recommendation.

Another possibility is poor school selection. And I really doubt there is such a thing as a safe school for PhD. It's nearly impossible to say what school would be good for you, since you didn't provide some of the most important information. Like, you didn't even mention research, not even research interests. If that's the way you tried to sell your application to schools, then that's also a good explanation for having no interviews. It's not good to focus on things that are not that important (like your work experience) and ignore what matters the most (research). Choosing the right school is a lot of hard work, even if I had the information there is no way I could answer that for you.

Area of concentration is Marketing(Quant).

I consult clients on data driven marketing largely involving mix models, demand forecasting, digital attribution etc. I have developed products/processes in Purchase Path modelling (using Bayesian VAR/ SURE/ SEM), Multimedia measurement (using Random Duplication) and last mile marketing. The path model was presented in a best paper conference (note- it is not an academic paper – so did not push much about it / share paper as writing sample)

In addition to the above I have my interests in “location-based parameters and customer analytics”, ‘Machine learning, marketing automation and AI for programmatic creatives and communication’, 'weather and economic factors on marketing'.

I did not mention Pricing and promotions, trade marketing and other areas of experience/interest in SOP.

There was insistence of academic recommendation letters and thanks to my performance in college, my professors (from 15 years ago) remembered me and my work well and gave me LORs. The person and work they recommend on is from 15 years back. The Adcom committees may not know them. How do I make sure on same or work on better LORs?

I work a lot on R. I had lot of work earlier in SQL, SAS. I have had a brush with Python, Matlab, BUGS on certain projects.

I applied very close to deadline. And yes my overall % is 94 but individual sections fall a tad below 90%.

I did research on schools, professors and papers. UT Dallas paper on research work published (with filters for marketing) helped a little in creating long list . Going through individual websites and papers helped a little. This was in my capacity. Will like to hear more on how to go about on this front. I did not build any personal contact. I could not travel to any of Docnet events – would that help?

Its March and I have not had any interview. Do you think processes are still on?

Hello, Raja.

Thanks BrazilianPhD

Area of concentration is Marketing(Quant).

I consult clients on data driven marketing largely involving mix models, demand forecasting, digital attribution etc. I have developed products/processes in Purchase Path modelling (using Bayesian VAR/ SURE/ SEM), Multimedia measurement (using Random Duplication) and last mile marketing. The path model was presented in a best paper conference (note- it is not an academic paper – so did not push much about it / share paper as writing sample)

In addition to the above I have my interest in “location-based parameters and customer analytics”, ‘Machine learning, marketing automation and AI for programmatic creatives and communication’, 'weather and economic factors on marketing'.

I did not mention Pricing and promotions, trade marketing and other areas of experience/interest in SOP.

There was insistence of academic recommendation letters and thanks to my performance in college, my professors (from 15 years ago) remembered me and my work well and gave me LORs. The Adcom committees may not know them. How do I make sure on same or work on better LORs? The recommendation may not reflect current projects.

I work a lot on R. I had lot of work earlier in SQL, SAS. I have had a brush with Python, Matlab, BUGS on certain projects.

I applied very close to deadline. And yes my overall % is 94 but individual sections fall a tad below 90%.

I did research on schools, professors and papers. UT Dallas paper on research work published with filters in Marketing helped a little in creating long list. Going through individual websites and papers were next steps. This was in my capacity. Will like to hear more on how to go about on this front. I did not build any personal contact. I could not travel to any of Docnet events – would that help?

Its March and I have not had any interview. Do you think processes are still on?

Hi All,

I am relatively new to urch so want to know the rules of the game before I proceed.

I have 4 offers for the management PhD from the 25-50 ranked schools (in Texas A&M/UT Dellas Rankings). I am pretty confused as all schools look same. Will it be Ok to name schools and ask opinions here? For the very least, what should be my top criteria to decide which school is best for me.

I don't know if there are any clear rules for that here. Many users don't feel comfortable sharing too many details (like the name of schools or information that would allow us to identify who they are), so they prefer to ask in a more general and vague way and then maybe send some private messages to those users who seem to be better able to help. But I don't think it's a problem to ask opinions in a more direct way.

I really don't think there will be a general agreement about what is the top criteria to decide a school. I think the schools who have the professors I admire the most and who are better at placing their PhDs in great schools are some of them.