Urch Forums

2018 Ph.D. Business Administration Sweat Thread

tm_associate

Thanks Brazilian PhD:)

To be frank, I have been a secret visitor and admirer of your blog " My PhD Tales" and took lot of insights for my applications and interviews.

Thanks for all that help

Will PM you with my details and share my thoughts.

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi there!

Anyone with info about NYU Finance? I saw a waitlist on GC, and a couple of guys who said they were contacted to gauge their interest in the program. It's getting late and still no formal decisions.

Also, was anyone here accepted at Northwestern Finance?

Follow up:

I asked NYU about my status and they said they are still in the process of making decisions and hope to end by Mid-April.

It sounds like they've made offers and are waiting to hear back, while you're likely on the waitlist, considering that April 15th is the formal agreement deadline. If someone rejects sooner, you may get a spot before then. Good luck.

It sounds like they've made offers and are waiting to hear back, while you're likely on the waitlist, considering that April 15th is the formal agreement deadline. If someone rejects sooner, you may get a spot before then. Good luck.

Thanks! TBH, I'm not very hopeful about my chances there. I only wish waitlists would move much faster.

Hi Raja. I understand your feelings. First, age doesn’t matter (I’m 33 now). Your UG profile is impressive. Your scores seem to pass all the cut off but I don’t see your research experience and letters of recommendation. To be honest, all interviews and acceptances I got for now are due to the great letters. The adcoms told me that they know all my Professors, that’s why they trust the letters and interview me. The third and very important factor is Programming skill. Do you code? If not, you got a disadvantage in the run. I hope you will get good information by early next week.

PS: I only know about PhD in Finance. My answer may not be correct for other fields, says Marketing, Accounting, ect. I got only 318 GRE (92% quant) and 104 Toefl, which are at the lower end of the cut off scores. But the adcom said to me that if you pass the cut off, nobody cares about test scores. I assume the cut off is 90 percentile in quantitative (GMAT/GRE) and 100 for Toefl.

I can speak about Management only. The unofficial cutoff (for 99% of schools - I can't speak about Harvard, for example) is 700 GMAT (irrelevant of whether it's strong Quant or Verbal).

I would also like to reemphasize that when you pass the cutoff, nobody will look at the score as a determining factor anymore.

Got a lot of pressure to commit to my only acceptance and finally caved after 2 weeks of daily emails. So of course I just got an interview invite from a top 5 program that I’ll have to turn down. I second guessed my self I had 1 offer 5 rejections and the only 2 schools outstanding where both reaches so I figured they already made decisions. Logically I don’t think I would’ve been a great fit at this school they are known as kinda cut throat but still hurts to never know what could’ve been.

Got a lot of pressure to commit to my only acceptance and finally caved after 2 weeks of daily emails. So of course I just got an interview invite from a top 5 program that I’ll have to turn down. I second guessed my self I had 1 offer 5 rejections and the only 2 schools outstanding where both reaches so I figured they already made decisions. Logically I don’t think I would’ve been a great fit at this school they are known as kinda cut throat but still hurts to never know what could’ve been.

Yeah, that can be frustrating. As you said, you'll never know, but many things in life are like this. And, honestly, maybe it was for the best and you just dodged a bullet.

We always say that fit is important, and not only for research interests. You said the school has a reputation as "cut throat" and I've heard that kind of thing about some schools. There are people who like that kind of environment, there are people who even thrive on that kind of thing. But if you're not like that, going to a school like that is not good. A PhD is already hard enough, doing that in an environment you don't fit can make it unbearable. If you had waited longer, maybe you would get accepted and then it would be very hard to decline an offer from a top 5 program, even if you know it is not a good fit.

So, I think you did great. You have been with us here for a long time already, we can see you have been serious about the application process. So, don't let this kind of thing bring you down. You accepted an offer, it's a great accomplishment, an important moment. Enjoy. Celebrate.

I finally have my first acceptance, for Rutgers Finance :). I had been away from math and finance and econ for a long time, almost 6 years, other than taking Rice U's online PhD Math Camp last summer and I was honestly afraid I would not get accepted anywhere. Due to geographic restrictions (wife's job) my applications were top heavy with more "reaches" than "targets" and no "safeties". I am extremely excited and I think the odds of me accepting the offer are pretty good. It is a big relief. My wife told me that I was driving her nuts constantly checking my email and GC, so she is probably happier than I am.

Also, for anyone on the board who says that teaching experience is irrelevant, that may be the case if you are applying to a top program or if your teaching experience was TA/grading. Six years ago I taught a couple of junior/senior level UG stats classes as an adjunct at a regional college that the adcoms were likely familiar with. I was specifically asked about my adjunct work during my interview, as well as why I stopped doing it (I moved) and I am pretty sure that it was a factor the adcoms took into account with regards to me being accepted and funded.

• 2 weeks later...

You should write an e-mail to them. April, 15th is getting close, so it's perfectly reasonable to contact programs you're still waiting to hear from.

Hello I have done an interview with UMD Finance 4 weeks ago but they still did not give me any information regarding my situation. Should I assume I am rejected ?