Urch Forums

2018 Ph.D. Business Administration Sweat Thread

tm_associate

I didn't mean that I was an older candidate (I am in my 20s). I was asking for the forum posters who have been through the process before and are currently in a PhD Program what was your application/interview rate

100%. Every school I applied to I got in to. Anything less is failure. No, I'm kidding of course.

I applied to around 20 schools (someone told me that the acceptance rate was 5% so I was playing the odds there). I interviewed (or got invitations to interview) with 9 of them. I got accepted to 2 programs without interviewing. Of those 9 I interviewed with I had 2 official offers and withdrew my applications from everywhere else before I heard anything. I know that I would have likely been accepted at 3 more of the programs I interviewed with, but I withdrew before they finished the paperwork.

So 20 applications, 9 interviews, 7 offers. I worked really hard to only to apply to schools where I (and my advisor) thought I had a chance of getting into. I spent over a year researching schools and programs, and I can't stress strongly enough how important that is. I would say I had a higher than average hit rate because of the preparation.

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anyone have helpful resources to share on how to decide between programs?

This is a tough decision. You are missing a lot of relevant information. Ask your advisors and anyone else that would be informed to give you opinions between the schools. Consider recent placements, how well you get along with faculty, faculty research interests, location, and anything else that seems relevant. It isn't a bad idea to rank and score these things. After you have done all of that, throw the information out and go with your gut. Give it a couple days before you tell the schools and see how you feel about your decision. If you feel good, then you probably made a good decision, if you feel more regret, then make another choice and give it a couple days.

Basically, you have to make it up as you go along.

Does anyone have helpful resources to share on how to decide between programs?

There are a million factors that you could include in a spreadsheet to compare programs. You could assign weights to each factor and then rank program based on these factors. Then take a sum of the weighted factors and come to a conclusion. That's the logical way to do it. And it's what I did. But we all know the truth of these types of spreadsheets. They don't actually provide us with valuable information. Rather they confirm our implicit and sometimes explicit feelings. Go with what YaS said. Trust your gut. Make a decision and sit with it for a day or two before letting the school know. You'll either feel satisfied or dissatisfied. Alternatively, assign school 1 to heads and school 2 to tails. Flip a coin and then don't look at it. While the coin is flipping in the air you'll have a brief feeling of hope that one of the sides will show up, go with that one.

You should talk to your advisors about the decision. Make sure you're not choosing between Wharton and South Dakota Polytechnic in terms of placement afterwards. But go with the school which makes you feel right, regardless of ranking or placement (to a certain degree). In the long run you'll be happier and a better researcher. It's a hard decision because it determines quite literally the trajectory of your entire career. But our animal brains are really smart, trust it.

For the old timers I was wondering what was your interview/application rate?

I narrowed down where I applied to a lot based on potential fit, so I only applied to 5 programs. I got into 4 of them. Didn't get an interview at the fifth (though afterwords I found out one of the main profs I was interested in working with left the school, so it was for the best anyways)

I hear from Texas A&M: The application pool this year for Marketing Quant is extremely strong and the school sent out two offers. Is Anyone here the student? If this one turn down the offers, another persons will have a chance. thanks Brazilian, my brother

I hear from Texas A&M: The application pool this year for Marketing Quant is extremely strong and the school sent out two offers. Is Anyone here the student? If this one turn down the offers, another persons will have a chance. thanks Brazilian, my brother

Thanks for sharing the information. I had interview with them but haven’t heard from them for a while. How many interviews did you have with Texas A&M? And by the way, did they send you an offer?

I did not have interview with the school and offer. If you got interview, your application is stronger than mine. I think you are on the wait list. I am on the wait list of the wait list. What Schools did you apply for? We can discuss by chatting or messenger if you want

I did not have interview with the school and offer. If you got interview, your application is stronger than mine. I think you are on the wait list. I am on the wait list of the wait list. What Schools did you apply for? We can discuss by chatting or messenger if you want

I also had an interview with them as well, but have also not heard from them for a while. Feel free to message me as well if you have any questions.

Long time lurking, first time posting. I have a question for those with more wisdom and experience in this process.

I applied to quite a few programs, and am still waiting to hear back (in terms of interviews/offers) from the large majority of them. I had an interview with a program where I really like the faculty, but it is not as highly ranked as some others. They sent me an email along the lines of

"We'd like to make an offer to you, what other offers/applications do you have?"

I'd like to wait out the process a little more to see what I hear back from other programs, but also don't want to be difficult or rude. I do like the program and would absolutely go there, but there are a couple other programs I am dreaming on that I haven't heard back from (and as far as I can tell, haven't sent out interview requests to anyone yet). What is the appropriate response in a situation like this?

Long time lurking, first time posting. I have a question for those with more wisdom and experience in this process.

I applied to quite a few programs, and am still waiting to hear back (in terms of interviews/offers) from the large majority of them. I had an interview with a program where I really like the faculty, but it is not as highly ranked as some others. They sent me an email along the lines of

"We'd like to make an offer to you, what other offers/applications do you have?"

I'd like to wait out the process a little more to see what I hear back from other programs, but also don't want to be difficult or rude. I do like the program and would absolutely go there, but there are a couple other programs I am dreaming on that I haven't heard back from (and as far as I can tell, haven't sent out interview requests to anyone yet). What is the appropriate response in a situation like this?

I'm applying for Ph.D. finance too. Great to see you here. I had some interviews and got the same questions at the end of my interviews. I always answered honestly, e.g. I don't have any official offer yet, but have some interviews with some universities, I will let you know when I got some updates. My approach is "in-the-middle", that is, don't sell yourself short, i.e. say that you don't have anything in hand (I assume you have some interviews) but don't raise a too positive signal about other interviews to the adcom, they might think you will go somewhere else. I think universities want to hear the truth as do we. Good luck!

I was also asked something like that after I got my offer. I just told them the truth. They seemed very nice, willing to help me to make a decision in case I had more than one offer, and to wait until I was ready to accept their offer.

Just a curious thought here....

Has anyone heard from the PhD Marketing departments for any of the following schools:

U of North Carolina

Penn State

U of Florida

Yale (Quant)

U of Georgia

U of Iowa

Thanks!

I've interviewed yale for cb. Guessing they have sent out the interviews for quant as well.