Urch Forums

2018 Business PhD Interview/Admission/Rejection Results

tm_associate

• Replies 357
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If one was to give an estimate, what percentage of applicants would you think a top 10 school would interview?

Probably around twice as many as the offers they will be extending (not twice as many as the matriculated class). So, depending on the program, this could be between 5 to 10 percent of the applicant pool.

I just did my interview with Northwestern. I was very nervous for the first question so I stuttered a little bit on that. They mainly asked me questions about my research interest, have I worked with data and my life outside of academia. It was a very quick chat: 12 minutes. I hope this is not a bad sign. It didn't really look like they had many questions to ask me. It sort of looked like they had made up their mind before the interview. Edited by ted23

For those who have done PhD interviews in Finance, is my experience above normal? I am starting to freak out since this is my dream school and I hope I didn't screw it up.

I think that Kellogg technically has to interview every candidate before they are accepted so they tend to do short Skype interviews. No reason to freak out.

I think that Kellogg technically has to interview every candidate before they are accepted so they tend to do short Skype interviews. No reason to freak out.

I was really nervous in my first answer because there was a skype issue on their end but I think I recovered with the rest of my answers. Do you think that mistakes like that are going to be defining for my application? I just don't see how they are going to differentiate candidates at the interview by having such short interviews like this. Would you think it is fair to say schools like Kellogg make up their mind before the interview?

I just did my interview with Northwestern. I was very nervous for the first question so I stuttered a little bit on that. They mainly asked me questions about my research interest, have I worked with data and my life outside of academia. It was a very quick chat: 12 minutes. I hope this is not a bad sign. It didn't really look like they had many questions to ask me. It sort of looked like they had made up their mind before the interview.

If your application is good, they often don't have much to ask. After all, they already have lots of information about you.

About feeling like they had made up their mind, as I said they already have lots of information about applicants. So by the time they go to the interviews, they usually already have a pretty good idea about the strength of each applicant. Unless the applicant really messes it up, there will not be much to change in their opinion.

Is your interview normal? Well, I don't know if there is such a thing as a "normal" interview since I've heard about several different interviews.

My interviews were different from yours, but then I'm different from you. I only had two interviews, lasting about 30 minutes. But I can think 3 big reasons for that.

First, I had much more to explain. I'm an older applicant, changing fields from Finance to Marketing, from a country they probably are no so used to evaluate, some real weaknesses to talk about. So, it makes sense to ask more questions.

Second, I had many questions for them too. So, in a way, it was not only the professor interviewing me, but I was also interviewing the professor.

Third, it wasn't a famous school like Kellogg. Kellogg probably will not waste much time to convince you that Kellogg is a great school.

And I think it's really hard to tell if an interview was good or not, unless the interview was obviously too bad. After my first interview, I really felt like I wouldn't be accepted. They asked about some things they expected in an application for their program (programming skills), and I didn't have them. But I got accepted anyway.

Notification Type: Acceptance

Institution Name: Michigan State

Concentration: Marketing

Date of Notification: Jan 17, 2018

Type of Notification: Email

Congrats! Based on your post of interviews and admission note, it seems you are a very competitive applicant. Are you gonna accept MSU or wait for the decision of other schools?

Notification Type: Acceptance

Institution Name: Michigan State

Concentration: Marketing

Date of Notification: Jan 17, 2018

Type of Notification: Email

Congratulations on the acceptance! Your acceptance is very early in the application result time. Can you share your experience about your interview with the school? Did you have a feeling that they will accept you right after the interview?

Congratulations on the acceptance! Your acceptance is very early in the application result time. Can you share your experience about your interview with the school? Did you have a feeling that they will accept you right after the interview?

I had a really good feeling about my chances after my first interview. It lasted about 1.5 hours and was with a professor I mentioned in my statement of purpose. While getting to know me, he also was providing me with all of the information on the program, since he mentioned he wanted to get me in there. The second interview was more traditional, where they were trying to get to know me and make sure I was a right fit. I felt good after the interview and felt like I had a good chance, but I never want to get too overly-confident in any of my assumptions.