Urch Forums

Canadian Application Sweat Thread

aascd

Does UoT accept only two internationals?

on their website

1. How many applications do you receive?For our PhD program, we receive around 70 applications from domestic students and 150 applications from international students. Each year, we admit around 15 domestic students and 2 international students.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, Wisconsin-Madison gets like 500 applications while UofT only gets 220? I guess people know about this bias.

15 admitted from 70 Canadian applicants really bites them in the ***. I knew some lackluster people who got off the waitlist cause they ran short on applicants and their first offers got rejected. Those dudes dropped out after the first year, total waste. They've had rather impressive placements in recent years though.

Was offered admission to Western's MFE! going to accept the offer.

Fantastic news and congratulations.

As a side, do you have any/in the process of gaining any qualifications like CFA, FRM, etc? I'm in the middle of studying for the FRM and it's actually made me feel like the U of T MFE (applied, haven't heard back) won't be for me (if I get in). It's just not quite as interesting to me as economics, even though the employment prospects look so good....ugh

Would love to hear why Western's MFE is your personal top choice! Now that I have Western's MA-PhD offer in hand, i'm spending alot of time thinking about the decision haha.

I have multiple reasons for the MFE being my top choice. But the main is that I have zero intention of doing a PhD, and an MFE provides much better employment prospects, especially in the financial industry. I will sit for my CFA exams in the future but am not currently in either the CFA/FRM. The program director did mention many students end up in risk management though. Let me know if you end up coming to Western also, we will probably see each other around a lot.

Gronk--Feel free to PM me if you want to know a little bit more behind my decision.

I got accepted to Western MA. So excited! Would probably attend, although I am still waiting for UofT UBC and Queens. I think MA at UWO dominates the other 3 programs. Any thoughts?

Congrats! Perhaps will see you next year at UWO. If you’re goal is to enter the PhD then I’d say UWO has a leg up.

I got accepted to Western MA. So excited! Would probably attend, although I am still waiting for UofT UBC and Queens. I think MA at UWO dominates the other 3 programs. Any thoughts?

Congrats, and I agree with Gronk, if you want to do a PhD Western is a good choice because its a PhD stream MA. if you dont want to do a PhD i wouldn consider Queens or U of T if you get offers.

Yes, I think so. I’m still waiting to hear back from the LSE, so I would consider that, although the cost is fairly extreme.

M.Sc. Econ?? would be a great experience, but yes, those international fees are expensive. Not even considering living costs. I was going to apply to LSE Financial econ but never got around to the GRE.

There's a UBC acceptance on GC. Is this real?

Anyone know if UBC trickle or batch offers?

I'm having the same question. From last years I've seen they send like two waves of acceptances. However only one acceptance seems weird, and around a week early compared to previous years