Urch Forums

Canadian Application Sweat Thread

aascd

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't loose hope. I got my acceptance on friday and status only changed today. I guess they might have still some offers to send

Thank you!. And congrats.

Now, I just hope that it would be a rejection email rather than implicit rejection. too many '"implicit" already.

Hey guys, sorry for asking, how much is UBC stipend? I just want to have an idea in the unlikely event I get an offer later.

On another topic, any comments about choosing PhD in Economics between McGill and SFU?

No problem. I got about 30k first year, 24k years 2-4, 21k year 5. Note that tuition needs to be paid out of this amount, as well. I'm international, so for me that's about 8k.

No problem. I got about 30k first year, 24k years 2-4, 21k year 5. Note that tuition needs to be paid out of this amount, as well. I'm international, so for me that's about 8k.

Thank you for the info and congratulations. That's good funding!

Congrats! I’m not sure of course how strained you will be financially, but do be weary that Vancouver is the most expensive place to live in Canada. Most of the on campus housing is $1700-2100/mo. For some of my friends in recent years, it made it an unfeasible option even though they loved the visit day and BC.

How does UWO compare for preparation and signalling?

I would say it gives you excellent preparation and signalling provided you do well in the program of course. The program at uwo requires you to take all PhD courses. Most of the content in such courses is standard across most mainstream schools thus if you perform well you have an excellent shot at going elsewhere. Recent students have gone on to Upenn (2015) and I heard yale a couple years before but not sure who or when exactly.