Urch Forums

Canadian Application Sweat Thread

aascd

Hi all,

Hope everyone is doing well and not too stressed during admissions. Was just wondering if anyone had heard from UBC MA yet? I will in near certainty be accepting Western's MA-Phd stream, but was just wondering if maybe I had an implicit rejection from UBC? Really just out of curiosity lol.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi all,

Hope everyone is doing well and not too stressed during admissions. Was just wondering if anyone had heard from UBC MA yet? I will in near certainty be accepting Western's MA-Phd stream, but was just wondering if maybe I had an implicit rejection from UBC? Really just out of curiosity lol.

I have not heard back from UBC. Im assuming I did not make first round as others on this forum have been made offers. Not sure if UBC sends out notifications of implicit rejections or not. Did you end up hearing from U of T MFE?

I have not heard back from UBC. Im assuming I did not make first round as others on this forum have been made offers. Not sure if UBC sends out notifications of implicit rejections or not. Did you end up hearing from U of T MFE?

Ah ok. That’s cool. Yes I was actually admitted but with virtually 0 funding. I gave it some consideration. But even if I wanted the MFE over the MA, just logistically I’m not in a position (due to family and other things) to take out so much loan for the tuition and living in Toronto.

Will see you at Western man, have you looked into housing yet?

Ah ok. That’s cool. Yes I was actually admitted but with virtually 0 funding. I gave it some consideration. But even if I wanted the MFE over the MA, just logistically I’m not in a position (due to family and other things) to take out so much loan for the tuition and living in Toronto.

Will see you at Western man, have you looked into housing yet?

Ya Western MFE is 0 funding also. I was lucky enough to not have debt from undergrad so i decided to go for the loans opposed to a funded offer given my interest in financial econ. And yes, I've looked into housing a bit. I've been looking into the graduate apartments on campus, and approx cost to rent off campus. So far including utilities cost they seem comparable. My only concern is the summer internship most likely will be outside of London so im trying to decide whether on campus or off campus will be an easier transition leaving and coming back for my final semester.

Ya Western MFE is 0 funding also. I was lucky enough to not have debt from undergrad so i decided to go for the loans opposed to a funded offer given my interest in financial econ. And yes, I've looked into housing a bit. I've been looking into the graduate apartments on campus, and approx cost to rent off campus. So far including utilities cost they seem comparable. My only concern is the summer internship most likely will be outside of London so im trying to decide whether on campus or off campus will be an easier transition leaving and coming back for my final semester.

Gotcha. Yeah I’ve looked at the on campus university apartments as well and that’s where I’d like to be if I get off the wait list for them. I wouldn’t worry about the internship transition as much, it’s usually pretty easy to sublet a place or sublet from someone else for 4 months etc.

Gotcha. Yeah I’ve looked at the on campus university apartments as well and that’s where I’d like to be if I get off the wait list for them. I wouldn’t worry about the internship transition as much, it’s usually pretty easy to sublet a place or sublet from someone else for 4 months etc.

Good point, I think I'm going to apply today to put my name on the list as well. Don't have to decide right now anyway.

Emailed grad coordinator and told them about deadlines for other admits (hinted I wouldn’t stay on the wait list). 2 days later got a reject from MSc Econ, accept from MSc Econ & Philosophy which was my second choice. To be honest, i really liked the other program as well and in some ways could be a blessing in disguise. Be careful about emailing about deadlines, however, if you are not interested in your second choice.

• 2 weeks later...
Emailed grad coordinator and told them about deadlines for other admits (hinted I wouldn’t stay on the wait list). 2 days later got a reject from MSc Econ, accept from MSc Econ & Philosophy which was my second choice. To be honest, i really liked the other program as well and in some ways could be a blessing in disguise. Be careful about emailing about deadlines, however, if you are not interested in your second choice.

Yes i think emailing brings bad luck-emailed UBC and Toronto and got swift negative replies. If I had waited maybe they would still have a spot after someone dropped off the waiting list.

• 1 month later...