Urch Forums

Math skills required for accounting phd students

Xixixixixixi

Can anyone share some insights on math skills required for archival accounting research? I have been attending summer math camp at my school and found courses like real analysis and optimization difficult. I have never taken these courses before. Wondering if it is necessary to spend more time learning these two courses myself (apparently a summer camp is not enough for me to catch up), or these materials may be more important for students in CIS, OM, etc, and I should focus on research and others? What are some most important math subjects for archival financial accounting research?

Thx!

I don't know much about Accounting PhD. But I've been in a couple courses at the Department of Economics with two Accounting PhD students. And we had to do a lot of math, we all found it very difficult, and struggled a lot with everything. Well, even the professors often had trouble, and sometimes were unable to answer some questions or solve some problems. If that's important for their research, I don't know. But they were taking more courses over there than I did, so I guess it's important.

The math camp from economics is generally intended to be a review course for students coming into their department. It is a ton of complex information to absorb so quickly, so most people would have a problem in your shoes. I suggest trying to stay ahead of the economy classes and picking up the extra math as you go. You won't really use more advanced math later, but it is important to understand the economics and you need the math to pick it up.

Focus more on stats and econometrics as far as learning things beyond what is necessary for the course.

The math camp from economics is generally intended to be a review course for students coming into their department. It is a ton of complex information to absorb so quickly, so most people would have a problem in your shoes. I suggest trying to stay ahead of the economy classes and picking up the extra math as you go. You won't really use more advanced math later, but it is important to understand the economics and you need the math to pick it up.

Focus more on stats and econometrics as far as learning things beyond what is necessary for the course.

Thanks for the advice! I actually haven't taken any course in econometrics before (which is kind of weird as a business student for 5 years). I am currently taking a online econometrics course, hoping to have a slightly better learning experience once the fall semester started lol

I don't know much about Accounting PhD. But I've been in a couple courses at the Department of Economics with two Accounting PhD students. And we had to do a lot of math, we all found it very difficult, and struggled a lot with everything. Well, even the professors often had trouble, and sometimes were unable to answer some questions or solve some problems. If that's important for their research, I don't know. But they were taking more courses over there than I did, so I guess it's important.

Thx a lot! I will try to learn as much as I possibly can :]